Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

Headstock angle question.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bert:

--- Quote from: Electro Dale on December 31, 2010, 04:56:23 PM ---[lots of indepth knowledge]

--- End quote ---

I like humour and find the strangest/absurdest things funny. For me it is funny to see Dale talking about Rickenbackers with a newby status.

Lightyear:
So how much angle is really required?  It seems to me that less of an angle would be better than the Gibson "rapid snap" severe angle design.

Electro Dale:

--- Quote from: Bert on December 31, 2010, 06:05:04 PM ---I like humour and find the strangest/absurdest things funny. For me it is funny to see Dale talking about Rickenbackers with a newby status.

--- End quote ---
My experience comes from my time working in the Rickenbacker Factory woodshop. I worked there from 1972 through 1976, when I left I opened my own small guitar shop in Tustin about 5 miles from the Rick Factory on Kilson Drive. I had 4 other guys that worked for me who I also taught to build electric guitars. 2 of those fellows went on to work for the Fender Custom Shop and become Master Builders: Mark Kendrick and Alan Hamel.  I also worked for Gibson, Fender, Martin and Guild as a warranty repair station until we moved to Oregon in 1983, the move caused me to give up my warranty status because there were already established ones in the Portland area.    I 1st started doing guitar work and repairs in 1965 when I was 17 years old. I took a job at Rickenbacker because I wanted to learn guitar construction.  I was also personal friends with many of the So. Calif. legends of guitar manufacturing from Leo Fender to Paul Barth, "Doc" Kauffman was a very close friend of mine up until his death.    This is my Labor of Love and I have been very fortunate to learn this trade.

Electro Dale:

--- Quote from: Lightyear on December 31, 2010, 07:04:51 PM ---So how much angle is really required?  It seems to me that less of an angle would be better than the Gibson "rapid snap" severe angle design.

--- End quote ---
Because Rickenbackers are Hard Maple they are much stronger than the Mahogany that is used by Gibson.  Another thing that helps is the lesser of a PH angle keeps the grain of the neck and PH consistant where the 13 degree angle on a Gibson allows for the grain to run off before it reaches the end of the neck making it weaker.
A 4 or 5 degree PH angle will work fine, you could even go farther if you'd like but I'd stay with the lesser PH angle.

ilan:

--- Quote from: Electro Dale on December 31, 2010, 04:56:23 PM ---He left very specific instructions not to change or adjust the neck or string height, he likes it on the high side.

--- End quote ---
I remember you saying that in the RRF, so when he showed me his '63 Hofner I expected it to have a high action, but in fact it was medium/low. I guess he changed his preference over the years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version