Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

Headstock angle question.

(1/4) > >>

birdie:
Hi guys! Can any body tell me what the headstock angle are on your basses?
No one I know has one.Some would seem to have no angle at all,and some just very slight. Assuming this from looking at all your pics.
Have never owned one, but looking at those.......hmmm!
Here to all having a new and improved year ;D

weekend warrior:
They started out with no angle at all,all the way up to around early 1975 from then on the pitch gradually became more extreme.

Lightyear:
I seem to recall reading that it's a fairly mild angle - something like 4 to 7 degrees.  You might try looking at Ric's site under history - there might be some info there.

chromium:

--- Quote from: Lightyear on December 31, 2010, 12:43:01 PM ---I seem to recall reading that it's a fairly mild angle - something like 4 to 7 degrees.  You might try looking at Ric's site under history - there might be some info there.

--- End quote ---

Yep - I just looked at my 78 4001 and there's an angle, but its verrrry slight.

Electro Dale:
Late 50s the 4000 Bass had a 4 degree PH angle.  This continued except in the early through late/mid 60s when the neck thickness was slimmed down leaving vey little wood at the area below the top nut.  This weakened the neck causing the PH to pull upward decreasing the PH angle over a period of time to almost flat with the fingerboard.   This is why Maccas Bass has a Zero Fret with a tall top nut behind it.  When his Bass came through the shop in the summer of 1976, we replaced the HS pickup and pickguard. He left very specific instructions not to change or adjust the neck or string height, he likes it on the high side.  We had to replace the nut behind the Zero fret because someone in the final assembly dept. stole it, drilled a hole in it and put it on their key chain.
So to answer this question: From 1957 through the late 1960s there was a 4 degree PH angle, then the neck shape was changed along with the PH angle to 3 degrees.
This continued on through the 1970s, after that I have no knowledge but a simple guess would be back to 4 or 5 degrees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version