Author Topic: who needs a guitarist?  (Read 4755 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: who needs a guitarist?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
Somewhat more on topic ... as long as the topic is people making big noise of various flavors with just bass and drums... I saw these guys once:

And then there's this, which I hadn't been aware of ... yikes:
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 04:31:12 AM »
Slinkp, for the record, I was being caustic and snappy/quippy:

- Cobain's death was tragic. Anybody that young (and as a father and husband) and - physically - healthy (discounting his heroin addiction) committing suicide is bad.

- He had his own approach to guitar playing and songwriting, I always credit originality. I like Neil Young's anarchy approach to lead guitar playing and if you like Young (Neil, not Angus or Malcolm), it's kind of difficult to not at least appreciate some of the stuff Cobain did. Of course it was good that his parents let him play guitar (it wasn't good that he had a gun at home nor that he knew how to use it, IMHO), any person should play guitar if he wants and Cobain's musical outlook certainly seemed to fill a void with many people waiting for something new to happen when the LA metal scene had run stale. You said that very nicely and aptly:

"... he was lucky enough to tap a raw cultural nerve at a time when popular music on the airwaves was really pretty dreadfullly devoid of anything resembling inspiration.  I'll always be glad Nirvana came along."

And, admittedly, there would be no Kiss - Carnival of Souls or (probably even) Alice in Chains - Dirt without him and those are the (don't laugh, I know it's uncool not to name something from Soundgarden, Nirvana or Pearl Jam here) the Grunge-(influenced) albums I dig most. I won't mention how I like some of Nickelback and - gulp! - Creed too, stadium grunge so to say. Hey, I have even written one song whose chorus goes D major, F# minor - so far so good, but here it comes - C major (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and then - release air! - A major. I guess you can call me a disciple just for that!  :mrgreen:  It's a chord sequence I would have categorically refused prior to some of Nirvana creeping into how I hear music.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:30:31 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
I crewed for Royal Blood last night, was really impressed by the show as a whole,
I  wasn't sure that the bass being guitar schtick would last a whole show but was pleasantly surprised.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
Cooll! I hope to see them in march when they play Paradiso Amsterdam