Author Topic: Pictures! 2012 Gibson Non Reverse Thunderbird  (Read 19133 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Pictures! 2012 Gibson Non Reverse Thunderbird
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2012, 07:19:15 AM »
to add my 2 cents the closest thing gibson has to a 'peoples' bass is the epi thunderbird. very reasonable price and they seem to sell pretty well. kind of like gibson's 'squier bass'. as far as their other stuff, too many short scale necks, too many multiple pick up models and price tags that are way to high imo. plus that pesky headstock problem. i like to play the devil's addvocate with gibson but i like some of their basses. i just can't get on with that 1.5" nut width that seems to be everwhere on newer models. now i'm starting to ramble like clint eastwood... ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »
Thanks for the pics Scott.  I can't wait to molest the hardware on mine when it comes in.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »
Yeah but what are you going to do about that ugly second route? ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »

No, I don't agree that it's a "gentle update." The Firebird Studio NR qualifies as a gentle update. All Gibson did here was take current electronics and hardware and throw it on a NR Firebird body.

Which is exactly what I expected they were going to do since we first heard there was going to be a non-reverse.  I am happy with the result. Well, I would be happier with matching headstock and the bridge from the Thunderbird Studio, but I am really liking the black hardware on blue.

And isn't the Firebird Studio also just current electronics and hardware on an NR Firebird body?

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2012, 08:50:28 AM »
WHY doesn't Gibson make Thunderbird II's??????

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2012, 08:58:14 AM »
Yeah but what are you going to do about that ugly second route? ;D

What second rout?  As usual, I am confused..... ???

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2012, 09:42:28 AM »
  The one by the bridge ;) I am lamenting that it's a IV and not a II.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »
Gibson should have a custom shop to keep all you guys happy :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »
That is where they really treat bassists bad. No two ways about it. They don't do Custom Shop for bassists, full stop.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »
  The one by the bridge ;) I am lamenting that it's a IV and not a II.

Duh, I get it!  I'd prefer a II also, but you take what you can get!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
Duh, I get it!  I'd prefer a II also, but you take what you can get!
Ain't that the truth!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Which is exactly what I expected they were going to do since we first heard there was going to be a non-reverse.  I am happy with the result. Well, I would be happier with matching headstock and the bridge from the Thunderbird Studio, but I am really liking the black hardware on blue.

It's pretty much what I expected too, though not in a good way. But it's fine that you and others are happy about it,  I'm not trying to talk anyone out of liking it. Just pointing out that it's not a reissue and that IMHO it's yet another example of Gibson abusing the good will of potential bass customers.

And isn't the Firebird Studio also just current electronics and hardware on an NR Firebird body?

Yes -- but the current hardware is much the same as the original! Three P-90s just like the original NR Firebird III, tune-o-matic like the original hardtail models, chrome tuners and bridge like the original. They don't claim it's all vintage original specs -- I know the p-90s aren't -- but you know just from looking at it that it is a legit reissue. Just the opposite from the new NR Thunderbird.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2012, 12:16:32 PM »
I will probably get flamed when I say this but...I have no nostalgia for the "original" Gibson basses. That's why I always played a Fender or RIC except for a one month stint with a Ripper (it was a good bass).  This is just my opinion, but I think you can compare an old EBO to an old Fender absolutely unplugged, and the body of the Fender will resonate much more musically without even being plugged in (I did this many many years ago).

I do like the NR design a lot.  If the pickups and body shape combine to make this a lively and resonant instrument, I would be interested. The shape is definitely cool.

What I look for is a good well balanced sound with great note definition. I like a solid bottom, screaming highs, and a good "click" when I use a pick.

No nostalgia here...YMMV

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »
If circumstances were different I'd go for one of these, but I'd want to change the colour, probably a red candy, but the blue would be a close second...

I remember discussing that I was never a fan of the shape, that the "reverse" was never a true "mirror", but as I've seen them over the years I've grown to really like them...

Enjoy...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2012, 01:57:30 PM »
If circumstances were different I'd go for one of these, but I'd want to change the colour, probably a red candy, but the blue would be a close second...

I remember discussing that I was never a fan of the shape, that the "reverse" was never a true "mirror", but as I've seen them over the years I've grown to really like them...

Enjoy...

I've always been a big fan of the shape.  For me, this in blue would be ideal. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal