Author Topic: Downplaying the 1960s British Invasion  (Read 7940 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Downplaying the 1960s British Invasion
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »
Therefore, he is a self-qualified expert music commentator.  Figures.  :P

He is a self-proclaimed expert on several things.  Thankfully, I don't have to be around him anymore, after having to be around him, though, for many years. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:17:33 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2015, 10:51:10 AM »
The thing about Woodstock is I suspect for some it might be a bittersweet experience in retrospect.   There would be quite a realization that the world will never see anything like that again.  I have a friend who was a teenager about 14 at the time.  By chance, her family was camping and could hear Woodstock in the distance.  I think her father wisely told her she wouldn't be allowed to go.  Still, she talks with regret of being so close and so far away from Woodstock. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »
He is a self-proclaimed expert on several things.  Thankfully, I don't have to be around him anymore, after having to be around him, though, for many years.

In one of his early books, author Robert Ringer called a person like this "the schmexpert" -- somebody who wants to be known as an authority even though he doesn't have the knowledge to be one.

It's a useful term. Take Uwe's friend Anne Erickson, for example. She's a schmexpert on Gibson basses.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2015, 12:41:23 PM »
In one of his early books, author Robert Ringer called a person like this "the schmexpert" -- somebody who wants to be known as an authority even though he doesn't have the knowledge to be one.

It's a useful term. Take Uwe's friend Anne Erickson, for example. She's a schmexpert on Gibson basses.

A lot of truth to that, though.  I had forgotten about Robert Ringer.  Based on my observations, the real experts on Gibson basses are here.  Certainly I'm not speaking of myself.  I do well to just try to play.  But anyone interested in Gibson basses should find quite a lot of what they're looking for here.  A place for nonconformists to be sure. 

--Blaise Pascal

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2015, 03:27:30 PM »

Dave you're the other guy that read that book!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2015, 06:29:12 PM »
Dave you're the other guy that read that book!

You and I and a lot of others. Looking Out For Number One was #1 on the NYT best seller list for quite a while.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2015, 06:45:10 PM »
Good thing you didn't bother. The roads to Woodstock were jammed ........  ;)

Yep, when I saw the news the next day I was a bit relieved, but sad nonetheless.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »
I can imagine.  So many gigs I could have seen but missed for various reasons.  P-funk comes to mind...

Imagine how Joni Mitchell felt!  She could have PLAYED Woodstock!  But she "canceled at the urging of her manager to avoid missing a scheduled appearance on The Dick Cavett Show". 
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 08:40:29 PM »
I can imagine.  So many gigs I could have seen but missed for various reasons.  P-funk comes to mind...

Imagine how Joni Mitchell felt!  She could have PLAYED Woodstock!  But she "canceled at the urging of her manager to avoid missing a scheduled appearance on The Dick Cavett Show".

There were quite a few others who didn't play and in some cases for reasons even more lame than that.  That one is lame, though. 

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/woodstock-who-didnt-play/

--Blaise Pascal