Author Topic: Beyond bizarre...  (Read 4560 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Beyond bizarre...
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
Some of the world's greatest rock musicians got together and thought that this was a good idea...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Beyond bizarre...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »
It is my sad duty to note that the guitar solo in the original version of that song was a Strat played through an SVT. I cannot stand Steely Dan or their songs!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
What's so horrible about it? The singer jumps around a lot, but hits the right notes, Baxter's - didn't he play on the original too? - soloing is fluid and kicks some butt, Simon Phillips swings (always the case with him) and so does JAE (not always the case with him). Walsh doesn't contribute that much. My only gripe is Keith's piano playing, he tends to sound like a slightly mad machine (a Glenn Gould influence?), a bit harsh/robotic in his timing (but that is just his style, it worked with ELP, but Elton John or Billy Joel could have done a better job here).

I'm neither overawed by Steely Dan (they're a bit "elevator music for Westcoast intellectuals" to me) nor do I think them horrible.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:51:30 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:40:13 AM »
The original solo was played by Elliot Randall.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 02:02:22 PM »
It is my sad duty to note that the guitar solo in the original version of that song was a Strat played through an SVT. I cannot stand Steely Dan or their songs!

With a Gibson humbucker in the neck position! I never bought their records, but I do like a lot of their stuff, this song included.

I'm afraid to watch that video.  ;D

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 02:58:55 PM »
Not a big Steely Dan fan myself, although I love Skunk's playing - and Walter Becker DID play a Thunderbird back in the 70s...
I like exactly three of their songs, and you can probably guess which ones they are pretty easily.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »
Who's the lead singer and who thought it was a good idea to let him jump around like a bozo? I never "got" Steely Dan but this is supposed to be a serious song. Having some shirtless pretty boy bouncing and prancing around sort of distracts from the lyrics, doesn't it?

Can't fault the other musicians.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »
I love Steely Dan.  I think they are the most unique and distinctive of any popular band.  Rick Derringer also did a lot of session work for them, as I recall.  He said they were perfectionists, down to the single note.

You have to love the intro on this.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »
Who's the lead singer and who thought it was a good idea to let him jump around like a bozo? I never "got" Steely Dan but this is supposed to be a serious song. Having some shirtless pretty boy bouncing and prancing around sort of distracts from the lyrics, doesn't it?

Can't fault the other musicians.

Funny part is that the singer is the only one in the band (bg vox aside) without any real name recognition.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »
Never seen it before.  I like it.  (Agreed that the lead singer needs more clothes and less flounce.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »
In my opinion, doing a Steely Dan song has never been a good idea, period. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 05:51:26 PM »
In my opinion, doing a Steely Dan song has never been a good idea, period.

And to think, I once auditioned for a band that was going to do nothing but Steely Dan.  Of course, one reason I didn't pursue it was because they also had no plans to play anywhere but the basement.   :o

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »
And to think, I once auditioned for a band that was going to do nothing but Steely Dan.  Of course, one reason I didn't pursue it was because they also had no plans to play anywhere but the basement.   :o

I can't explain it; don't really understand it myself.  But all joking aside, their music just gives me the creeps.  When I was around people raving about them, I  was always baffled.  Nevertheless, it could be there is just something about their music that I don't get. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
I can't explain it; don't really understand it myself.  But all joking aside, their music just gives me the creeps.  When I was around people raving about them, I  was always baffled.  Nevertheless, it could be there is just something about their music that I don't get.

Don't feel bad.  I feel the same about Pearl Jam.

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 08:34:07 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_(band)

"Relative unknown Rick Livingstone sang lead vocals (along with Walsh and Entwistle). Backing vocals were provided by Hamish, Angus and Fergus Richardson of the band Brother."