Author Topic: Fine kettle of fish  (Read 2088 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Fine kettle of fish
« on: May 15, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
I played last night, and it was pretty hot and humid in the club. I decided to clean my basses today, and wipe down the strings with rubbing alcohol. I opened the bag with the Embassy, and wondered why I suddenly had a hole in the fretboard.  The inlay for the 3rd fret marker has vanished, leaving the hole and screw exposed.  Damn!  Now what?  Looking for any helpful hints.

While I'm at it, what is everyone recommending to clean and oil the body and neck?  I've got nothing where I'm staying, so looking to purchase some new supplies.

Thanks!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Fine kettle of fish
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:22:47 PM »
Bummer about the missing inlay.  I'm sure that you can order a dot inlay that will be a close match that you can glue in with super glue. Might take a bit of work with a fine sanding stick to get it flush though.

I've always used bore oil to oil fingerboards - it's made to maintain woodwind instruments made of ebony, rosewood and other tropical hardwoods.  Cost about $2.00 for 1oz dropper bottle at any music store that does business in woodwind instruments.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 03:22:56 AM »
I use naptha to remove gunk & built up grime.  dunlop 65 is my favorite polish.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:47:55 AM »
I use naptha to remove gunk & built up grime.  dunlop 65 is my favorite polish.

Ditto on both recommendations.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:41:56 AM »
I lost the inlay on the seventh fret many years ago(NR Thunderbird). I ordered a replacement from Stewart Macdonald but never installed it because it was much whiter that the rest. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_pearl/Pre-cut_inlays.html After bumming about it's disappearance for a while I don't notice it missing any more.

Thinking about it now I realize I have a spray can of amber laquer, I think I'll try to fix it this week.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:45:40 PM by the mojo hobo »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:43:46 AM »
... I opened the bag with the Embassy, and wondered why I suddenly had a hole in the fretboard.  The inlay for the 3rd fret marker has vanished, leaving the hole and screw exposed.  Damn!  Now what?  Looking for any helpful hints.

The hole was drilled all the way through the fretboard? In that case I would definitely replace the inlay even if it didn't match.

While I'm at it, what is everyone recommending to clean and oil the body and neck?  I've got nothing where I'm staying, so looking to purchase some new supplies.

Thanks!

Dunlop Formula 65 here.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:58:06 PM »
The hole was drilled all the way through the fretboard? In that case I would definitely replace the inlay even if it didn't match.

Dunlop Formula 65 here.

+1 :thumbsup:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »
Lemon oil to both clean and condition fret boards.  I don't let them get gunky.

Paint is paint, car products are a better value.  I use Meguiar's Scratch X or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound which has a nice cinnamon smell.  I'm including a small bottle of touch up paint with my basses, thinking of doing the same with the Ultimate.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 09:03:47 AM »
I'm not a fan of oiling fretboards...I use Virtuoso cleaner and polish, but I haven't had the occasion to use the cleaner on a fretboard yet.  I would definitely use it in preference to anything that I knew to be a strong solvent. I'm not especially worried about fretboards "drying out" (the board on my '63 P and '64 EB-0 have never been oiled or treated and don't need it), but I'm a bit concerned that solvents on wood could strip stain or color, or dry out the wood more than is appropriate.

I've never had a fretboard get "gunky" so I've not had to deal with this.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »
the gunk is where the funk lives.  ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

johnk

• View Profile
    • JohnK Custom Basses
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »
for making new pearloid inlays that are too white match the original ones, i used 'TransTint' liquid tint dyes on new pearloid, mixed with water in a glass to dilute it, heated up in a microwave just below boiling. drop the inlay in the dye until it's color matches. i use a mix of amber and brown (and sometimes a tiny bit of green if necessary). i've had to replace missing block inlays in several vintage jazz bass necks this way and it was indistinguishable from the adjacent originals. needless to say, a dot inlay is much easier. i just cut the dots out with a harbor freight hole punch. i don't see them listed on their site anymore, but they are available elswhere for about $30.

mine is similar to this one (only it's red and a little more heavy duty):

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:43:21 PM by johnk »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
Cool tool!  Might have to get me one.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »
I've never had a fretboard get "gunky" so I've not had to deal with this.

You're just too cool compared to us sweaty types; must be all that vintage wind... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 07:56:42 AM »
You're just too cool compared to us sweaty types; must be all that vintage wind... ;D

Especially after a taco dinner.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 04:15:05 PM »

(couldn't resist) ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...