Author Topic: Tulsa Time  (Read 3124 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Tulsa Time
« on: April 17, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »
I was in the mood to listen to some Don Williams and look what I found. I can't remember seeing an RD in a country band before.

Yeah, I know, simple bass line but it's not his fault that it's a two chord song.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Re: Tulsa Time
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 03:38:09 AM »
Now, Dave, I don't wanna stick my nose into something that I don't have nothing to do with. But, for the sake of mankinds future: What the f--k is the Don Williams mood? And how can one recognize a fellow in that mood?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:22:22 AM »
Stjofon... best not mess with Texas...  :vader: :toast: :rimshot:

Or as I might joke with my (Kentuckian) wife... "we play all kindsa music... Country and Western...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:04:23 AM »
Maybe he couldn't find  his T-40  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:22:44 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:28:38 AM »
 simple bass parts are your friend. to my mind too many bassists play too many notes and abandon the fundamental bottom end.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:39:48 AM »
Loved the super-de-dooper thumb rest that runs half the length of the body... and the quick lean across for the "tweak" on the controls right at the start...

Seemed to be getting a bit depserate for some "comfort-parlour" time by the half-way mark, mind you...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 08:10:46 AM »
I'm sitting here in a Houston hotel room with my wife and kids (visiting relatives) and that clip made for a perfect start to our morning!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 08:14:36 AM »
I was in the mood to listen to some Don Williams and look what I found. I can't remember seeing an RD in a country band before.
Yeah, I know, simple bass line but it's not his fault that it's a two chord song.

That's a great song, though! A couple of months ago I saw a country/rockabilly band and the bass player was using a 5-string studio Thunderbird. THAT was unusual for that kind of music. Later I asked him about it and he got it for $250 from a pawn shop.  :-\
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 08:37:02 AM »
One of my favorite lines was from Col. Bruce Hampton, Ret. - "We're gonna play some country music, we're just not sure which country"

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 11:37:01 AM »
Now, Dave, I don't wanna stick my nose into something that I don't have nothing to do with. But, for the sake of mankinds future: What the f--k is the Don Williams mood? And how can one recognize a fellow in that mood?

I don't have any of his records. I was just thinking about one song of his I hadn't heard in years (Some Broken Hearts Never Mend) and looked to see what was on YouTube and found myself listening to a few. Nothing more than that.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 06:07:19 AM »
At least you can really hear the bass !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 06:10:50 AM »
+1.
And nice intro/outro riff

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »
Dave Pomeroy on bass I believe.
I saw them back in the day and to be honest, throughly enjoyed it, great show. There was a part in the show when Don left the stage and let the band vamp for awhile and those guys absolutely killed! Of course they were/are all top-gun studio players so it's really no surprise.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
I think you're right about that being Dave Pomeroy. His beard wasn't always so gray.  :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 05:30:06 AM »
Don William's stetson is the only thing remotely countryish on that track. Both the bass player and the guitarist have an overt rock feel to their playing, that isn't a C&W bass line or a C&W guitar solo at all. The change between quarter and eigth notes on the bass is especially "rockish".

But I do question the wisdom of a capo at the 10th fret, Herr Williams! You know, there are mandolins for that.   :mrgreen:

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...