Author Topic: White Triumph  (Read 7447 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: White Triumph
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 09:39:58 PM »
I love BOC.No way of ever getting to see them unfortunately. Used to bash Some Enchanted Evening to death as a teenager on my record player and tape deck in my car.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 02:27:06 AM »
I saw them thrice. Twice after the drummer Bouchard brother had left and once after his bass playing brother had left too by which time they had become something of a cabaret act unfortunately.

But in their prime, BÖC were like no other US or UK hard rock band. Slightly demented thinking man's metal. The way those five musicians meshed, Bloom's sardonic voice and stage appearance, Buck Dharma's almost westcoastish fluid melodicism in his solos and songs, Allen Lanier's NYC existentialist cool, drummer boy Bouchard's songwriting and bass boy Bouchard's inventive and melodic bass playing, was very special.

They could go effortlessly from something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izjl-FODymg&feature=related

to something like this:

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrd2xf5DIlU&feature=related

or this:

Very varied (perhaps too varied which is why superstardom eluded them), yet no one ever sounded like them.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 02:34:05 AM »
I have been restricted to only 3 of their albums unfortunately.

S.E.E.
Cultosaurus Erectus
Agents of fortune
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 02:53:32 AM »
Of their later works "Fire of unknown Origin" is their masterpiece, every song a winner, of the earlier stuff "Secret treaties", middle (S.E.E. period) period: Spectres, more a sophisticated pop than a hard rock album, but elegant and cool. Revölution by Night, which followed "Fire ...", is a strong follow up (if you ignore the electronic Simmons drums that are all over it, courtesy of their lighting manager suddenly becoming their drummer) though by then they were commercially in decline.

S.E.E has been lovingly remastered a few years ago with a multitude of extra live tracks.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 06:57:22 AM »
A fan here s well. I remember playing the black & white LP to death way back when.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:15:27 AM by Barklessdog »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 07:05:24 AM »
Actually, I have secret treaties in my car atm. Forgot about that one.
Digresion our specialty!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 08:20:29 AM »
I saw them at my very first concert back in '76 - yes, the summer of "Don't Fear the Reaper". That was all I knew about them at the time. I don't really remember how they were, I was just waiting for KISS to come on. DESTROYER with the full stage set! I later read that Peter's giant cat statues got ripped off that night.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 08:43:18 AM »

I saw them 3 times, right after Secret Treaties ( A fave album of mine!)  and once more at Seattle's Paramount. One time on the University of Washington campus when UFO (with Schenker) opened for them.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »

And a fave of mine from Iron Maiden.............  ;D
Memphis Belle clips included.

And Aces High with Steve Harris playing a custom Thunderbird clone

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 10:14:13 AM »
"ME-262" could almost pass for an old Alice Cooper song.  I saw BOC on their very first tour.  Buck Dharma was playing LEFT-handed at that time.  The fact that he's switched since then could make him one of the best guitarists in rock.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Hornisse

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »
I never got to see them live but was attracted to them after I heard the On Your Feet Or On Your Knees live record.  My high school band back in the late 1970's covered the version of Born To Be Wild on that live record as well as Sinful Love from Agents.  I too like their later period stuff (Fire, Revolution and even Imaginos!).

My old High School friend now builds custom guitars and names them after BOC songs.  The bass he made for me is called "Black Blade."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2009, 02:14:05 PM »
I used to etch the BOC symbol on all my work tools - saw them dozens of times from '77 up until the "Monsters Of Rock" disaster gig - several set of pics - I've slowly been getting all the CD's and still have all the original vinyl, even some quad releases...

I think Joe Bouchard (now on guitar) plays with Dennis Dunaway and Neal Smith these days...?

I still play the recordings excessively when the mood takes me...

Nugent did a song called "Tailgunner"

Slightly further off topic but Saxon's "747" song...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2009, 03:06:38 PM »

Here ya go Kenny...........This just flew over my house   ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
(exceptionally nerdy voice with round "Harry Potter" glasses, broken, of course...) Hmmm... Air China Cargo... looks like it might be a 747-409F, might be wrong of course...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »
...........the camera's making him look farther away than he really is, in Des Moines we identfy landing aircraft by the tread pattern of the tires.