Author Topic: Kids say the darndest things...and then panic sets in  (Read 2402 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Kids say the darndest things...and then panic sets in
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:34:37 PM »
I've been upstairs buying, fixing, collecting and occasionally noodling with basses for about 5-6 years. I built a jam room for us to bang on stuff and occasionally practice.
I don't really play bass and have never (with the exception of a few songs on my deck during a party) played in front of anyone.
My kids (20 & 15) have a gig this Saturday night opening for a few local tribute bands - I usually provide transportation, roadie services, food money...and gas money...and...basically, my wallet.

Anyway, their bassist is really sick and their backup is out of town and his backup is nowhere to be found, and my eldest turns to me and says "you're up, Dad"
Wuh!?  They have a 1 hour set. He says "can you learn these 12 originals and these 4 covers by Saturday night?" and hands me a sheet of paper with 16 song titles on it.  "BTW, these 3 are in drop-D, these 3 are in C-standard, and the rest you can just wing..." No notes or charts, which is great because I don't read music. Drop what? C-what? Nice kid, huh?

Now, I've got 2 days to somehow learn how to play a bass...on stage.  My wife is grinning ear-to-ear and is already charging the batteries in the camcorder. I figure all I can do is turn everything on full, stand behind the drummer (my youngest), close my eyes and let 'er rip. 
This is going to get interesting if bassist C can't be found somewhere soon.
Either way, they're both grounded come Sunday.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Kids say the darndest things...and then panic sets in
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »
I'll bet you know enough to pull it off. Good luck!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:49:06 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »
"Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully."
Samuel Johnson

I suspect your powers of focus will carry you through.

When in doubt, leave out the extra notes and just keep the rhythm and groove going.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 02:54:56 PM »
Thankfully, as a bassist you don't have to worry about Drop-D. It's something guitarists do to fatten their sound by lowering the lower E string a full note (two half-steps) to D. It really should be called "Drop-E-to-D". All other strings retain regular tuning. They can fret their power chords more conveniently that way with just one finger. It's a silly fad, blame it on Grunge, nothing grown men should do.

"I usually provide transportation, roadie services, food money...and gas money...and...basically, my wallet."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PS: For the sake of completeness, some bassists do tune their E string to a low D to have access to an octave-deeper D you normally don't have on an E A D G tuned 4-string bass.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:03:28 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »
Enjoy!
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
Oh oh... now you're doomed.
There is no way back after you've done your first gig.

Enjoy! :toast:

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »
Dont lose sight of what is really important in all of this:  justification for more gear!  ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »
Cinnamon Girl is a drop-D tune if you give it a listen, Steve...

We'll be expecting the vid... :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
My wife is grinning ear-to-ear and is already charging the batteries in the camcorder.

This is PRICELESS! I'm still grinning myownself.  

I agree with Uwe - don't worry about drop tuning, just play an octave up. C and D are easy to find.

And next week you'll find you have a new jones for playing in public.   :popcorn:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »
I never change tuning with the guitarists, personally I just find it easier to move around on the board to accommodate...plus that way when I'm falling asleep during the ballads I don't panic and jump to the wrong note when I wake up.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I burned their setlist (I usually record their practices) to CD and went upstairs to practice.
As mentioned by a few here, I didn't bother to drop anything and played 'em all in standard tuning...even the dreaded QOTSA covers.
It's all fine and fun.

Anyway, I'm plugging right along with the eldest, when bass player C walks in the room. I'm off the hook.
Actually, I'm somewhat saddened, but I have a big day at work tomorrow that was sucking the life out of me anyway. 

Anyway, now I can have a few brews and throw stuff at the band....and of course, pay for stuff.
...and I get to hear how my new Markbass rig sounds on stage.

Thanks for all the support - I'm being told that I've been put in the rotation, as "Bass Player B".
When I make it big (or at least make it to "Bass Player A"), I'll keep you guys in mind.

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 08:17:04 AM »
Ah, the path to stardom!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »
you are a good dad for supporting your kids like you do. my mother's one and only comment about bass playing was akin to 'if you can't make money at it what good is it'. gee, thanks mom.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
you are a good dad for supporting your kids like you do. my mother's one and only comment about bass playing was akin to 'if you can't make money at it what good is it'. gee, thanks mom.

Your mom sounds like my ex-wife.