Author Topic: Most beautiful places to visit...  (Read 1704 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Most beautiful places to visit...
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
With Mark and Bret's recent trips (and Al's a short while back) I thought I'd open up general all comers for personal images of some of their favourite places or somewhere you've loved visiting...

Scotland...

This is Glen Afric (the pic of the stag was a pure chance) which was the ancestral home of the Chisum (John Chisum) Clan and from here began the "Chisum Trail..." there is still a few patches of snow on the hills in August...

My problem is I am eternally drawn to the Sea... the lighthouse is at a place known as the Butt of Lewis - North from here you can go straight to Antarctica without hitting any other land (if you aim carefully ;)) - the other shot is looking across a bay known as Loch-a-Tuath which literally translates as North Loch but is known in English as Broad Bay, in the foreground is my maternal homelands and the slither of land in the distance is my paternal homelands... this was taken at about 10PM (11PM GMT) in August... for me, travelling to the Island is a 672 mile and 2 3/4 hr ferry trip... it can be described as a bleak and barren due to the clearances and the sheep, but to me it is a place of great beauty...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... what are your special places...? the ones that tug at the heartstrings are not always where we call home...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Most beautiful places to visit...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
Mine is the Minnesota North Shore of Lake Superior. Unfortunately none of my personal photos are scanned.

Chaser001

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:20:08 PM »
Mine would be Ireland, but my pictures from my trips there have been lost. 

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »
I should scan this pic properly again

Tropical ice in Tanzania

Temperate ice in Tajikistan

Digresion our specialty!

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 02:12:56 AM »

The view of snow capped Mauna Kea from my front porch.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:45:31 AM »
Milazzo, Sicilia and surrounding area, founded 700 BC.  Spent 10 weeks there in '06 studying Italian and my "Roots"

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 11:56:45 AM »
Great shots...

Gotta admit... never knew about snow in the 50th... 8)

I did a double-take with one of your's Carlo... saw "Barcelona" on the sign and not "Barcelloma" (which I think it is...?)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 01:19:01 PM »
Great shots...

I did a double-take with one of your's Carlo... saw "Barcelona" on the sign and not "Barcelloma" (which I think it is...?)

Nope, it is Barcellona, Italian spelling, pronunciation is like cello.  It was named by the Spaniards who ruled Sicily for a long time, I think it means sail boat (boat canvas is the literal).  It's now a beach town with supposedly heavy mafia influence...as opposed to everywhere else in Sicily.  Also have snow in Sicily even though it's the warmest place in Europe.  Mt. Etna, an active volcano with ski resorts and the most amazing blood oranges due to the drastic day night temp differential and the volcanic soil.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 01:30:36 PM »
Interesting if you research the root of the word "Barc" or "Barque" or "Bark" all being from a Greek word for an Egyptian boat...

Sicily... a place you rarely refuse offers...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »
Mine is the Minnesota North Shore of Lake Superior. Unfortunately none of my personal photos are scanned.

My wife & I just returned from a couple days in Duluth last weekend!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:48:49 PM by Grog »
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
My wife & I just returned from a couple days in Duluth last weekend!

Beautiful as always.

I'd like to get up to Grand Marais before the leaves are gone, probably won't get there until spring though.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 08:58:10 PM »
I'm going to offer a mundane sample - a view of eastern Washington's Palouse wheat fields from the top of Steptoe Butte near Pullman, home of WSU.  In the fall, the the ripe grain ripples like waves in the ocean.  A lovely place at certain times of the year.

Those hills in spring...

I now return you to the more remarkable and exceptional locations, having offered a note as to why so many people build strong connections to this part of Washington.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 12:29:51 PM »

Thanks for bringing back the childhood memories Al!

I can easily remember going to see fireworks on the 4th of July at Steptoe Butte in 1965 and '66  ;D

Next year's road trip may well be to Eastern Wa., I haven't been for a visit for much longer than I care to say. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 02:18:12 PM »
Love that spring shot!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »
Al... those shots are beautiful... exactly what I'm getting at... 8)