Author Topic: Stupid stuff you used to do as a kid.  (Read 3527 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid stuff you used to do as a kid.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 12:15:05 PM »
Something else we did, although we didn't know how risky it was: back before Houston had a mosquito control district, our neighborhood civic club would pay for once a month DDT spraying. A truck would come down the street driving slowly and spraying DDT in thick clouds of white smoke. We thought it was great fun to run behind the truck and get in the thick of the clouds.

It didn't affect me, I'm perfectly normal today except for that third hand growing out of the top of my head.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 04:51:40 PM »
AFAIK, DDT doesn't affect sound. I used it to spray my room against mosquitoes in Africa all the time. It was called Baygon (by Bayer) and while DDT was already outlawed in Germany in the early seventies, it was still sold in Africa. And it sure was potent ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 05:07:40 PM »

These last two posts speak volumes about our esteemed moderators  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »
First - the statute of limitations with your Mom never expires! :-X :-X  I would still get a "whippin" if she knew what we were up to :)

Second - I am damn lucky to be alive ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
These last two posts speak volumes about our esteemed moderators  ;D

DDTave, can you DDTermine what she means with that?  ???
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 07:32:27 PM »

I think I did alot of the things you guys mention (except DDT) ........I wore Mom's clothes too.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 12:58:18 AM »
Unfortunately for my Mum she didn't know most of what we got up to as kids because generally we never got caught and yes home made explosives, cars (Roof surfing to name but one) and falling from high places to scare people were recurring themes.

I say unfortunately because as I grew to adulthood she was all too aware of the fact that I took up mountaineering and rock climbing. I climbed with the Australian team in foreign countries on 3 occasions and did a whole lot of other high altitude climbs with others. This combined with bungy jumping, white water rafting and travelling solo through Asia, Africa, Europe and Russia has left her with quite white hair.

Well at least thats what she attributes it to  ;D

My favourite kid story was when we used to climb up Jeddah Rock in the katherine Gorge and when the tourist boats came through we would wait until the guide told them the story of the young aboriginal girl (Jeddah) who dies at the end of Australia's first full colour feature movie by falling/being pushed (its left to your interperatation) from the top of said Rock. We would then jump from about halfway up the rock into the water and come up under the edge of the cliffs which formed a hollow that we could breath in. It looked to the tourists as if we did not surface.
The water levelis low in this pic so you can see how it looks hollow at the bottom of the cliff

Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 06:15:39 AM »
Something else we did, although we didn't know how risky it was: back before Houston had a mosquito control district, our neighborhood civic club would pay for once a month DDT spraying. A truck would come down the street driving slowly and spraying DDT in thick clouds of white smoke. We thought it was great fun to run behind the truck and get in the thick of the clouds.

It didn't affect me, I'm perfectly normal today except for that third hand growing out of the top of my head.

We did the same, but road our bikes through it chasing the truck.