Author Topic: Other hobbies  (Read 24651 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Re: Other hobbies
« Reply #165 on: October 09, 2010, 04:05:46 AM »
My room is filled with 18 basses, about 3500 vynils LPs and more than 10000 cds (its just an estimation, I lost control of them).
 I think that you can imagine what is my hobby.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 09, 2010, 07:18:14 AM »
Pretty much anything left behind or unwanted by people that got wind that I was into this. My grandfather had a duplex for about 50 years, many renters left them in the attic. I ended up with all of them, plus he gave me his personal collection from when he was young. Popular music at that time was marches & opera. A lot of John Phillip Sousa. I would like to get to Chicago & try to pickup more of the blues 78's that inspired goups like the Beatles & many others. Those seem to be scarce. I have a few unplayed Les Paul albums.

Nice. I hope you can get some blues 78s that interest you. Sometimes old records are hard to find but then you find a treasure trove of them somewhere.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 09, 2010, 07:36:25 AM »
check ebay to see some really high prices on rare blues 78's. especially those dealing with delta/country blues.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #168 on: October 09, 2010, 07:41:35 AM »
 Many of those 78's have never been reproduced and it's possible that some of the copies you have are the only ones in existence.

I have one of the Ion A>D turntables and a big stack of 78's.  It's pretty easy to play a 78 on the turntable and use Audacity (free) to correct the recording to the 78 RPM playback speed.

I really, really want to digitally capture the 100+ recordings I have - the issue, as always, is time.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 09, 2010, 07:46:27 AM »
i have 2 stereo set ups . one for lps and the occasional 45 and the other for 78s. i have yet to find a 78 i like to play on it. :sad:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 09, 2010, 08:54:34 AM »
There was, maybe still is, a store that sold 78's locally. It was set up like a store would have been at the time. They always had a dumpster full of unwanted records. Out of thousands of records, they only had one blues recording, Big Bill Bronzy. Most antique stores didn't bother stocking 78's because they don't sell well. A lot of forgotten musical history just waiting to be rediscovered!
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2010, 05:35:54 PM »

A sunny winter afternoon with nice, harsh low angle sunlight and some models, old and recent.

Tho I really just model the Rio Grande in the '60s-'70s I do also enjoy other railroads and make a few models outside my main interest....
 Here's a Wabash GE U-25B (quickly dubbed "U-Boats"), this model took a lot work, including fabricating the handrails from brass wire and soldering them together.

And a Pennsylvania Railroad GP-30 locomotive along with an N-8 "Cabin car" (caboose), the railings on their roofs are in fact a primative train radio antennea.       and with a heavy duty flatcar with a transformer load

And some additions to my Rio Grande layout models.....GP-40s and various rolling stock, some of which are beautiful models that require very little work - these are usually made in China from fantastic CNC diework and feature faithful detail.

[/IMG] And a nasty, rusty Great Northern boxcar....At least no one has chalked a pecker onto "Rocky" the Goat! Since every direction is up on the Rio Grande a "helper locomotive" behind the caboose

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2010, 05:24:56 AM »
Those look great, Mark! Great Northern is my favorite of all the lines, although Southern is right up there alongside it. My Proto 2000 locomotives are all GN. :)
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2010, 12:17:34 PM »
It's the attention to the detailing that does it for me, even to the surroundings and backdrop...

Do me one favour please Mark - could you put up something scale-wise against one of those that would give a true dimension - I vaguely remember you posting something about how you set scenes but scale eludes me...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2010, 01:26:57 PM »

Denis, I'll go out on a limb here and guess you like the tradition "Empire Builder" scheme as opposed to the later "Simplified" or "Big Sky Blue.......... I'm finding my Proto 2000 GP-30s are needing a lot of work to get them layout ready, the gearsets on the axles split! I'm rebuilding them with Atlas GP-7 motors and trucks for better compatibility with my Kato and Atlas locos.
 Kenny, next time I shoot I'll get some 1:1 scale objects into the pic for you but as a quick reference they are H.O. = (half O scale) scale 12" = 87 feet or 3.5mm per foot. Most models are around 7-9" long.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2010, 01:32:47 PM »
Cheer's Mark... fairly familiar with the scale... putting something 1:1 will let people understand the level of detail I'm enjoying... 8)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »

Denis, I'll go out on a limb here and guess you like the tradition "Empire Builder" scheme as opposed to the later "Simplified" or "Big Sky Blue.......... I'm finding my Proto 2000 GP-30s are needing a lot of work to get them layout ready, the gearsets on the axles split! I'm rebuilding them with Atlas GP-7 motors and trucks for better compatibility with my Kato and Atlas locos.

Hard to beat that orange/green combo with yellow stripes and lettering. I need to check which ones I have (been a long time since I looked at them, but I've had them at least 10 years. And yeah, I've heard that it's wise to replace some of the axles on those things.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2010, 02:39:24 PM »

Mmmm....Big Sky Blue, so very 1967.

Cool GN pics too! F-45s with Boeing 747 parts cars.
http://www.gn441.com/history1.html#calendar

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2010, 03:08:36 PM »
I don't remember H:O being THAT big...!!! :o ;)

One of the things I REALLY enjoyed when we were over in KY was getting stuck at a crossing and watching what I called MEGATRAINS that seemed to take forever to cross... 8)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2010, 10:21:20 AM »
woodworking

cooking

flyfishin

Great mopdel building guys! I guess thats where it all starts...
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed