Author Topic: Be Careful What You Say  (Read 1720 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Be Careful What You Say
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 02:56:44 PM »
Sounds like Edith and my wife (and I) are similar in losing some of the frequencies involved in human speech. That's not unusual.

One great feature of my hearing aids is the Bluetooth control by phone app. AMong its settings is an eq setting for "Noise/Party" which boosts those speech frequencies. Works pretty well in crowded restaurants.

I think in today's world, the operative rule is "Any time you can upgrade to the device that has a cell phone app, do so." You'll find that it comes in handy. I didn't expect this one to be nearly as helpful as it is...but it is.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:40:44 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 03:54:31 PM »

I have to admit to way too much loud music......There's a sawmill going on in my head.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 04:19:37 AM »
I like loud music too. Still do. I dislike open air concerts for instance, because the sound on those is never loud and engulfing enough for me. My favorite venues are small to midsize halls that are wider than than long.

My personal limit is where your ears start shutting down and you can't control it. That sometimes happens in clubs/smaller halls when a band has an oversized PA and is generally used to larger venues. I once saw Queensryche empty a smaller hall that way, the volume was so brutal (crystal-clear, but brutal) even I couldn't stand it. And I've been to Motörhead gigs unflinchingly.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 08:07:33 AM »
Give my best regards and heartfelt condolences to your dearest wife, I'm certain she is absolutely right. It's just what being married to a confessed Ricster and Alembickerer does to you, that - ouch! - biting treble ...  :mrgreen:

Thanks for the CDs, Tom, I'll give some feedback once I've heard your nomads. One look, however, at your bass treble armada lends your wife's self-diagnosis all the credibility it needs!

:toast:

Fun fact - Our violinist is the loudest guy in the band! (Almost all the harmony "guitar" parts you'll hear are guitar and fiddle. Power chords too).

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »
Himmel!, das ist freakin' äwesöme, epochaler kick-ass!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That is a six-string violin, ja? Still tuned in 5ths?

Haven't heard something as beautifully noisy

since our Me 262 Sturmvögel took off the test field.  :)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:42:03 AM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 10:19:05 AM »
:toast:

Fun fact - Our violinist is the loudest guy in the band! (Almost all the harmony "guitar" parts you'll hear are guitar and fiddle. Power chords too).

"f***en A" Wow!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 10:22:44 AM »
I've just slipped your Horizontal Nomads into my office CD player, Tom ...

Melodic Prog! Very nice, your singing too, bass not as clanky as feared  ;D, actually very organic and melodic lines I can immediately latch onto. And whenever Chuck solos, you have Uli Jon Roth or Yngwie J. Malmsteen guesting, lovely!

I'll be back, into the second track right now ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 11:00:26 AM »
When the violin plays something more atmospheric, I'm reminded of these guys here (except that you guys have less bum notes and punkish Sturm & Drang); don't feel bad if you have never heard of them, not many people have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHsr2YUj23w&list=PL8a8cutYP7fpG5fXlFsCLvYyKLgtWxJXx

Your track "40 years music" is killer!  :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
That was a very pleasant listening experience, also liked the ballad at or near the end!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 08:49:28 AM »
Ich danke dir sehr! I will investigate your YouTube postings later. As for the fiddle, it is a 7 string that goes down to drop D of a guitar, or 1 whole step away from a cello. Made by a violin shredder named Mark Wood. Mark does a violin camp every summer that Chuck teaches/mentors at.

https://www.mwroc.com/mark-wood/

I really love the ballad/duet. I don't know why I put it second to last, but that's what felt right when sequencing the album.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:48:27 AM by gearHed289 »