Author Topic: now I see what all the shouting is about...  (Read 1902 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
now I see what all the shouting is about...
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:27:58 AM »
I have always said that when I win the lottery, the first 4 grand will go on a vintage Gibson Thunderbird.
Today while I was loading the Levellers into the assembly hall, the bass tech saw me admiring Jeremy's beaten up 74 T-bird, and said what backline guys NEVER say to local crew they don't know..
."do you want a go on it mate?"
it was awesome, the feel of playing it actually lived up to my expectations, five very happy minutes

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: now I see what all the shouting is about...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:57:44 AM »
A new convert!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
I have always said that when I win the lottery, the first 4 grand will go on a vintage Gibson Thunderbird.
Today while I was loading the Levellers into the assembly hall, the bass tech saw me admiring Jeremy's beaten up 74 T-bird, and said what backline guys NEVER say to local crew they don't know..
."do you want a go on it mate?"
it was awesome, the feel of playing it actually lived up to my expectations, five very happy minutes

Beware. Next comes platform shoes, purple wigs and arguments about chrome vs. black pickup covers. I'd say it's a slippery slope, but that would be taken out of context.   :rolleyes:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:38:08 AM »
Beware. Next comes platform shoes, purple wigs and arguments about chrome vs. black pickup covers. I'd say it's a slippery slope, but that would be taken out of context.   :rolleyes:

8) I might resemble those remarks!

I've said it before, Thunderbirds are beautiful Sirens whose call I cannot resist  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 01:00:41 PM »
...the bass tech saw me admiring Jeremy's beaten up 74 T-bird...

I'm sure it's a fantastic instrument, but there were no Thunderbirds produced in '74.  I believe the gap in production lasted from '69 til '76.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 01:56:04 PM »
A minor quibble!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 03:17:42 PM »
An ol' T'bird is an ol' T'bird in anyones books...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:24:14 PM »
There is quite a bit of difference between a sixties Tbird and a 76/77 Tbird. The pickups are completely different.
Sixties Tbirds are much more sought after.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 03:58:20 PM »
I've never had the privilege of trying a 60s Bird of any sort, but I love the heck out of my '76. 

The circuit on mine was rewired with the pickups in parallel like a modern bird, as opposed to the original series config.  So technically, I've never tried an original 76-79 either... but this one sounds huge, open, with tight lows, bell-like mids, and highs with a warmth.  It really cuts live, and its still one of my favorites to take out (although the Hamers and BCR are monopolizing my time lately).

Try out a recent one if you ever get a chance.  You can find good deals on 'em, and they smoke.  Nokturnal has a nice harem of these, and I'm still trying to devise a way to subtly abscond with his Blackbird :vader: ("is that a bass in your pants?  or are you just happy to be here...").  Kidding aside, I've been tempted by the modern birds and BB several times.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »
There is quite a bit of difference between a sixties Tbird and a 76/77 Tbird. The pickups are completely different.
Sixties Tbirds are much more sought after.

Nostalgia.  8)

PS: You better do your homework on which basses Frau Weymouth played!  :P

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
Nostalgia may be part of it, but there's no doubt that 60s Birds command a higher price.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 11:38:56 PM »
I'm just going by what the bass tech told me, I asked what year it was  and he said 74, then pointed out the difference in the size of the headstock on the spare (a little smaller) and said that one was a little later.
f        or me the magic was that the spontaneous offer happen to be with the bass i have dreamed of. Roadies NEVER offer ppl they don't know a "go on it".
 In all my years in the business the only thing similar to happen to me was Cheap Trick's guy introducing me to coursed basses, but the that was different in that CT were the  support act and I was touring crew with the main act.
 heres a picture of it, can you count its rings from that ? (although that may be the spare )
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/78/ead8e5784d1948148e6c63fa8ad321a7/l.jpg

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 01:38:19 AM »
You better do your homework on which basses Frau Weymouth played!  :P
Was she married to Glenn Cornick? :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 02:09:23 AM »
That's it, we're invading again!

That TBIRD is by the bridge looks a Bicentennial - i.e. stemming from the 76-79 era. 74 was close enough.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 05:39:08 AM »
 Yep a '76-'79. Three point bridge, darker burst around the edges of the body and the changed out pickguard give it away.

Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird