Author Topic: new addition  (Read 4726 times)

weekend warrior

• View Profile
new addition
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:04:32 AM »
Gibson Bass IV in Heather Poly. Near mint condition ;D
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: new addition
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »

I like those!
That's one "conventional shape bass I won't mind owning. Didn't Gibson do them in Natural - they actually looked good with black bits on them  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »
Got Thunderbuckers on the way for it.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:21:18 PM »
Lovely bass. The color looks great. How about the rest of the hardware? Are you going to do a full on chromification?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
Not collecting for fins is sometimes quite burdensome! Beauty of a larvae Fender it is!  8)

As Herr Carlston always says: "TBird in Clark Kent mode." Who are we to disagree. And it's one hell of an ergonomic bass, not that that has ever been high on Gibson's agenda.

Of course, aspiring shredders and dive bombers could do with a little modification ...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:00:40 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »
@4stringer. Im not sure yet if I'll do the whole thing or not...

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »

I like those!
That's one "conventional shape bass I won't mind owning. Didn't Gibson do them in Natural - they actually looked good with black bits on them  ;)

Mine's natural and I think it's a fantastic bass.  No, it isn't the prettiest bass I own.  But drop it into a live band situation and it just makes itself heard straight off with no messing around.

Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »
Got Thunderbuckers on the way for it.

Why?
This is about the only Gibson bass I can think of that needs the black pickups and hardware...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »
That EVH paintjob... my eyes!!!  :o  Of course the Kahler on a 5er (strung high) might be pretty fun...

What are the neck profiles like on these?  Any resemblance to the TB IV, or are they meatier?

Oh - and congrats WW!   Nice looking bass.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »
Why?
This is about the only Gibson bass I can think of that needs the black pickups and hardware...

I agree totally
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »
Mine's natural and I think it's a fantastic bass.  No, it isn't the prettiest bass I own.  But drop it into a live band situation and it just makes itself heard straight off with no messing around.

Great shot!

Both you and the bass - it's very smart with the black hardware, you in the sweater!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:21:56 PM »
Beautiful bass! I'd happily own one and I think I'd want it in Heather Poly. You did good!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
The chrome pickups will look fine and I'm sure they will add a more textured and nuanced sound compared to the stock pick ups. Mixed black and chrome, or all chrome would both be cool and either way it's what you play that counts the most.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:45:27 PM »

Great shot!

Both you and the bass - it's very smart with the black hardware, you in the sweater!

It was absolutely necessary - an outdoor/marquee gig in Banff, Scotland.  It was single figures of celsius (less than fifty F).  In MAY.  The drummer kept his coat on for the first couple of songs.  The sax player was warming his hands on a cup of coffee between songs.  Trombone player had gloves on. Keyboard player was rubbing his hands. Singer/guitarist was too drunk to care.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »
That EVH paintjob... my eyes!!!  :o  Of course the Kahler on a 5er (strung high) might be pretty fun...

What are the neck profiles like on these?  Any resemblance to the TB IV, or are they meatier?

Oh - and congrats WW!   Nice looking bass.

I thought as embarrassment with a Kahler equipped bass is mandatory already, I might as well go all the way and flaunt it!  :mrgreen: Funnily enough, even though I have 5-stringers tuned E to C, I never thought of it here, but now you're giving me ideas!  :mrgreen:

The necks on these are gently wider and phatter than on a reg IV, but neither baseball bats nor flight decks, comfortable to play without giving finger players a headache (as the Ric 4003S/5ers did!).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...