Author Topic: Gene Simmons bass info site  (Read 8560 times)

TobaccoRipper

• View Profile
Re: Gene Simmons bass info site
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »
You got a nice one too. That's my 1973 build Ripper. Looks like the one which gene is playing in that video.  :mrgreen:

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »
Post pics!
Mine's an '80 Ripper, all black. :)

ebony
EDIT UWE: This is a Gibson forum!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:37:32 AM by uwe »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TobaccoRipper

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 12:52:33 AM »
Okay! Gibson stated that my Ripper was build in late 1973 at the Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo. She got (I name all my basses after girls) a very rare dark tobaccoburst finish. This finish was avaiable for the fretted version for the first time in 1975 and only 5 where made (offical). I think they made a few more but I was unable to find a Ripper who is as old as mine.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 07:45:17 AM »
Oh yeah, another couple of things regarding Rippers on that site: It says that "The first known sighting of this bass is on 75.08.09 and it doesn't seem to survive 1975." I saw Kiss at Convention Hall in Asbury Park, NJ on June 25th, 1975 and definitely remember Gene playing the black Ripper. It made such an impression on me that I started saving my pennies and bought one brand new about 6 months later. Possibly no photographic evidence of this, though.

Regarding the last part of the quote, about Gene's use of Rippers not surviving 1975, I saw a pic not too long ago of Gene in the studio playing a natural finish maple 'board Ripper while recording or rehearsing for the "Monster" sessions. I can't find that pic online any more, but there is a clip where you can see it (for a split second) on a wooden multiple guitar stand/rack.
Here's some from the Sonic Boom sessions...

I also have some old pix a friend shot back on Oct 4 1975 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ from the first row - and Gene is using the black Ripper.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter