Author Topic: 76 T bird sounds nasally  (Read 5292 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: 76 T bird sounds nasally
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »

"I love the clang of a Tortex .73 hitting a DR round wound and a '76 pickup ..."

On seven inch leather heels (immortalized by Paul Stanley) not to forget, that makes all the difference soundwise.

You gave up your Subaru for a '76 pickup?  :o :o :o

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
"I love the clang of a Tortex .73 hitting a DR round wound and a '76 pickup ..."

On seven inch leather heels (immortalized by Paul Stanley) not to forget, that makes all the difference soundwise.

You gave up your Subaru for a '76 pickup?  :o :o :o

Never Herr Moderator!

As I write this I'm on a trip with the band to Washington's north coast, the  Subaru has once again gotten me and some Thunderbirds here in good order, clangy goodness :)  A side trip to some '20s era shore gun installations is in the offing. Meant to defend the US from my Subies makers - Strange world!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
RE: DR roundwounds-I just discovered DR Fatbeams...I thought they were worth the extra cost...really sound powerful, but have relatively low tension and good flex.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »
I love the clang of a Tortex .73 hitting a DR round wound and a '76 pickup  :mrgreen:

I had this flash across my senses and just added at the end of her line "... in the morning..."

Sorry, just a Kilgoreism Kennyism...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
I have a 76 that I got from George a few years ago, and it had been rewired more like the modern Thunderbirds - with the sidewinder pickups in parallel instead of the series config like the original (the original wiring is shown in the schematic labeled "Thunderbird 76" in the pic above).  

I really love this bass, and I'd describe it as anything but nasal....

IMO, this bass is the best sounding 70's bird I ever owned. It was a very hard one to sell but I was more than pleased that it went to such a good home.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »

I think there's some inconsistancy in '76 pups that does make some have a nasal or "honk" - my green one is like that.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 06:16:02 AM »
It's easier to dial "honk" out - even on something like An Ampeg SVT - than to dial it in with a bass that is lows- and highs-heavy, but lacks mids.

My "honkiest" bass is my Guild BA-301, but even that can be dehonked. In contrast, getting audible mids into a hifi bass such as the 20/20 is a chore.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »
almost forgot about it:) in our last vid (not out yet) I play a 4001 and it's recorded with the SG Reissue... Again... Sorry:) But for Lies I did use the '76 Bird for a vid and recordings! Or was it the BaCH?