Author Topic: EB-3 QUESTION!  (Read 4439 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: EB-3 QUESTION!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 06:21:16 AM »
Being a big Mel fan I have to go along with the Mud in a Jazz concept. Then all I gotta do is get my amp to sound like a big West working its nutz off.  ;D  Welcome and Good luck youngmanhood.
Digresion our specialty!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 06:25:59 AM »
The other option would be something like Rob Been from BRMC. Heard him just the other night and that was definitely one mean Rock bass sound and a large body although short scale.

Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
Slap a muddy in one of these ! I bet it would rock ! http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Epiphone-Gibson-Jack-Casady-Signature-Bass-/380255414137?pt=Guitar

I have no doubt that it would!

Problem is, they sound SO GOOD from the factory!  I really like mine.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 02:25:35 AM »
The JCS is among the most modded models, mainly because the Epi PUP sounds weak IMO. Seen 'm with all kinds of other PUPs among which Dark Stars seems to be the popular fave. Keep wondering if Epiphone made Casady an offer he couldn't refuse ...........  ;)

Experience is the ultimate teacher

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 07:57:11 AM »
I keep wondering if I have a tin ear for pickups...because the Casady pickup sounds really good to me.  It just may be that I don't hear the subtleties of many pickups, but I don't hear anything lacking there.

I have finally been able to hear the shortcomings of the old staple pickups in my 70's Univox hollowbody...and I have a pair of Filtertrons waiting to go into it. 

I DO know that the TV Jones pickup in my Gretsch Electromatic Jr. Jet 2202 is a powerhouse!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
I've only seen and heard the Epi Casady with the stock pickup and it sounds good to me. Not weak at all in the proper band situation. Only complaints I've heard are about the construction quality.

I sincerely doubt it's anywhere near one of the most-modded basses. Not even remotely near the percentage of modded Fender basses. You may have seen a handful of people on bass forums mod theirs, that has little or no bearing on the real world.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »
Good point (and thanks for the observation).

After reflection, I would nominate the durable and versatile Precision as the (obviously) most-modded bass ever.  The various incarnations of P-basses have had just every possible type and number of pickups and electronics installed, not to mention various body and neck mods. 

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 03:23:56 PM »
Well I guess I'm one of those that isn't too impressed by that stock Elektar pickup that Jack Casady came up with when he and Epiphone brought the Les Paul Signature back to life. To me it sounds a bit bland. It should have been a close relative to the rest of the Lo-Z Les Paul family, but it can't live up to that standard.

That is the reason why I decided to put a real Gibson Lo-Z pickup in the JCS.

And to me that was exactly the improvement I had hoped for. Now the bass still holds down a firm bottom even when played gently. And it rips when you play it hard. The Elektar equipped JCS just doesn't offer those dynamics. It's a fine bass, but not a top bass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »
Nice work on the Casady!!  But the link to the sound clip isn't working for me.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 02:29:25 AM »
You may have seen a handful of people on bass forums mod theirs, that has little or no bearing on the real world.

I meant relatively of course ......... and thanks for calling me a dreamer without getting personal ...... ;)
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 06:36:01 AM »
Going back to the mini-buckers.

An Epiphone Allen Woody is also too small, I guess, but what about an old Newport?

You see them around for reasonable prices.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 07:58:43 AM »
Get an EB-2d and have fun.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.