Author Topic: EB-3 QUESTION!  (Read 4436 times)

youngmanhood

• View Profile
EB-3 QUESTION!
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »
Hey guys so I was referred to the bass outpost by a fellow talkbasser who said you guys really know your stuff so heres my question... I love gibson basses, more specifically to my question, the eb-3 I love the big bridge humbucker eb-3 particularly (I believe they have a different one where the big humbucker is at the neck) but heres my dilemma.... stupid i know but i HATE the sg body eb-3's have... are there any other basses that have the same sound with a bigger body? I'm tall and lanky and love the whole rock n roll "my instrument looks like it's swallowing my body alive" thing so if I could have my cake and eat it to and find a different looking body with a sound like the eb-3 it would be amazing

sidenote: I LOVE the gibson eb-2D double pickup hollowbody how much could I make that sound like said eb-3 I spoke of?

p.s. I know the example I gave is jared followill who now uses a thunderbird but also part of my dilemma being as my band is in a similar musical genre/management family as kings of leon if I used a thunderbird I'd immediately look like a copy cat so definitely no thunderbirds

p.p.s. this is the sound I'm going for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDu_c5qrnm8&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:54:05 PM by youngmanhood »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: EB-3 QUESTION!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:36:53 PM »
 A EB2D can definatley get you the sound you are looking for ! Also a 70's EB3L(L=long scale) is a much bigger instrument than it's 60's counter part you might want to look into one of those. Another option would be to put a Mudbucker in a F----r.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 02:53:54 PM »

First,

Welcome Here  :)  Ours is a pretty happy place.

I'd say just play a Thunderbird, why worry? My white Bird is older than Jared Followill but I don't think he's copying me  ;)  If he played a 7ender would you let that stop you from owning one?
Find a nice '76 and make him jealous!

;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 02:56:49 PM »
Mark has a point  8) It's not like this guy was the first to strap on a bird. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I know put a mudbucker in a Tbird now that would be kickass. Not a Tbird but similar concept, one of the best sounding bases I own.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

youngmanhood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 06:45:18 PM »
thank you so so so so much for the responses guys you're alot more friendly over here than at talkbass  ;)

I think an EB-2 with a tech 21 VT Bass pedal to brighten and grit out some of that "dark cloud" people talk about when they say eb-2 and make it more rock n roll friendly is gonna be my choice just because the double pickup eb-2D's are soooooo much harder to find!

sound like a solid plan?

as far as the tbird thing goes, I know its been done for ages, but again especially with a lot of the same people that pushed them in the early 00's working wih us now, and already hearing "you look a lot like jared" thing, and being in nashville the last thing i need is people blahing to me about being a copy cat

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »
Sounds like you know what you want ! Clips please once the rig is up and running ! It's a good thing to follow your own path. I have been playing Tbirds since '76, Jared to me is the guy who sells Subway subs.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:15:52 PM by godofthunder »

youngmanhood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:54:56 PM »
well godofthunder.... as lucky as we've been thus far for a young rock n roll act, were still very low on the musical totem pole so money bags definitely isnt my middle name but at least with our connects growing, i know what to get when the time comes :)

for now I stick to my fender J

musicians...eternal dreamers hahahahha

thanks again guys!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:47:16 PM »
Welcome aboard! You know in the original "4 Kicks" video Jared is playing a Jazz isn't he? One of the only times I've seen him without some kind of Gibson. Anyhow, go for what feels right to you (for me it's a TBird but then I associate those more with Nikki Sixx than anyone else) and it sounds like you know what you want. Good luck with your band too. Sounds like you are making some in-roads into the business.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 02:37:35 AM »
Quote from: youngmanhood
I think an EB-2 with a tech 21 VT Bass pedal to brighten and grit out some of that "dark cloud" people talk about when they say eb-2 and make it more rock n roll friendly is gonna be my choice just because the double pickup eb-2D's are soooooo much harder to find!

If you hit the Baritone Switch ( aka the Choke ) on a EB-2 much of that "dark cloud" vanishes .......... mind you I'm not much of a Mudbucker fan, the SG Bass' TB+ PUPs are much more useful in R&R IMHO..........
Experience is the ultimate teacher

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 03:21:59 AM »
welcome to the outpost, youngman!  hope you find one soon!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 03:58:06 AM »
If truth be told I think the switch from shortscale EBs to long scale TBs benefitted Jared's sound immensely though the better and more expensive production of the last two KoL CDs might play a vital role in that. These days you hear a lot of nuances and embellishment in his playing that weren't heard before. Granted, he's also evolved as a player, when he first played bass with KoL he had no experience on the instrument but came from an acoustic guitar background.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 04:30:42 AM »
I vote slap a mudbucker in that J ala Mel ! Best of both worlds.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 04:41:51 AM »
I will let you & others in on a secret- The RD artist actually can come close to a Mud bucker type sound with its active electronics.

They look good and are big body although very heavy beasts.
Black ones are the coolest- some Dude with one

Mel from Grand Funk's modded Jazz Mud

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 05:43:50 AM »
 I have been dying to put a mudbucker in my J !
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:05:33 AM by godofthunder »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 06:20:32 AM »