Author Topic: Tom Petty  (Read 1890 times)

patman

• View Profile
Tom Petty
« on: July 16, 2010, 07:17:16 AM »
Saw Tom Petty and the Drive by Truckers in Cincinnati last night.  Was a good show...liked both bands.  90 degree heat and 100% humidity...both bands played through it like troopers.

My first rock and roll show in about 5 years (last was the Allman Bros.)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Petty
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:33:49 AM »
Great combination, both their new CDs are really excellent. The Heartbreakers seem to have even discovered the sweetness of dual harmonic lead playing. Someone must have slipped them a Wishbone Ash record.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:43:12 AM »
I still remember the first time I heard Blind Eye off the first album by WA.  Ran out and bought the album - cost 2.99  )))  It was enlightening !!!  Was added to songlist very quickly thereafter.  Saw them open for somebody a few years later.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:48:29 AM »
Heartbreakers played "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac...kicked major butt.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
DBT were actually very cool...very southern, but very artistic...appealed to my "roots music" thing, but were still playing like 20 something kids.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 08:04:07 AM »
I like it that the old, original bass player is back. His replacement, the guy who od'ed, was a bore on bass (accordingly, Tom Petty, himself a bassist, would always praise his backing vocal abilities).

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
The Heartbreakers seem to have even discovered the sweetness of dual harmonic lead playing. Someone must have slipped them a Wishbone Ash record.  :mrgreen:

...& Thin Lizzy!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »
Thin Lizzy themselves have admitted that they picked up the dual lead guitar sound from wishbone who carved their sound into stone with Argus in 1972 - at a time when Lizzy was still a three piece.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:38:55 PM »
I only saw TP&TH once (supporting Nils Lofgren in '76), but they played Dog On The Run at that show... does anyone know if they ever released that track other than on the 'leg...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 02:51:15 PM »
I saw Petty & The Heartbreakers in 1987.  The day before the show I was shopping at Toys R Us at Capital Plaza with my then 4 year old daughter.  All of a sudden I passed by a guy (with his daughter) that looked just like TP.  He was shopping with his daughter and a very large bodyguard looking guy.  I shook his hand and being at a loss for words I foolishly said "You're great!"  :rolleyes:  I told him about first getting into him after hearing "Breakdown" during the old 70's movie "FM" which he though was funny.  He asked if I was going to the show and I said I couldn't get tickets.  He told the bodyguard guy "Get his name and give him some tickets" and I was on the guest list!  What a great guy and he even signed the back of a South Austin Music business card for me.  The show was great with the Del Fuegos, Georgia Satellites and TP.  I'll never forget that show.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »
I only saw TP&TH once (supporting Nils Lofgren in '76), but they played Dog On The Run at that show... does anyone know if they ever released that track other than on the 'leg...?

I think that was '77 that you saw them w/ Nils.  Dog is only on the 'leg as far as I know...what's one of those worth on Fleabay?

This would be '76, Stan and me taking the piss out of Tom as usual.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 05:14:08 AM by dadagoboi »

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
I TP on what I think was his first headlining tour - maybe 77 here in Houston.  He played at the Houston Music Hall which was a classically tuned room with perfect acoustics built for theater and symphonies - had 3000 seats.  Was a fantasic show.  I also saw AC/DC there as well with Bon - they where never better.

I was going to try see TP here in Houston but he's playing at the Woodland outdoor pavillion and it sucks the big kahuna in hot weather.  Plus cheap tickets where $70+ - which I wouldn't mind paying if it was indoors >:(

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 03:00:37 AM »
I think your right there Dada and Buzz... checked back and '77 looks more logical... '76 was the LP release year... Saw Nils loads of times... even went to see Springsteen (like, but not a big fan) in '88 because he was on the bill... oh yeah all three London nights in '82 with Neil Young was a big bonus...

Dog On The Run is one of those great lost songs... A friend had the original of the UK 'leg (with the extra track which I have on tape) at the time but I have a copy of the US 'leg (acquired in the 80's - probably a 'leg) - I was in Scotland that summer and played the tape to death...

Stereo is mischanneled (two different uploads so from broadcast?) so Cambell's guitar work is weel down the mix, but you can get the flavour... this song is on several boots but the "official" is the best version I've heard... might go searching for an online copy...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 09:32:55 AM »
I think that was '77 that you saw them w/ Nils.  Dog is only on the 'leg as far as I know...what's one of those worth on Fleabay?

This would be '76, Stan and me taking the piss out of Tom as usual.

Hey, Dada, got a back story on this pic?

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
Missed that and seconded Buzz' comment...

('Leg is being re-issued as a vinyl copy with special editions of the new live compilation set)