Author Topic: Tom Petty  (Read 1900 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Tom Petty
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »
Hey, Dada, got a back story on this pic?

Stan Lynch and I were in a band in Gainesville FL called Road Turkey.  We gigged with Mudcrutch a bit because at that time we were about the bands in town doing original material.  They were sort of country rock. Our influences were Free, Faces, Kinks and Yardbirds.  Mudcrutch went to L.A., got signed and broke up after no success.  Road Turkey broke up in March '75, Stan went to L.A. and played in a few bands.  About 10 months later BenMont was doing a demo and got most of the Gainesville guys who were in L.A. to play on it.  Tom had a solo deal and needed a band.  Denny Cordell initially named them 'Tom Petty and Nitro'.

In Jan '76 I went to L.A. with the remaining members of Road Turkey.  This pic was taken at Village Recorders the day after we arrived. Marty Jourard, Road Turkey singer, was recording a sax solo for said BenMont demo which became a minor hit in England for a girl singer whose name I can't recall.

We occasionally messed with Tom in G'Ville.  Once we brought a large trash can on stage and dumped him out of it...so when the photog wanted a picture in the break room naturally we had to do something.

Stan and I are still friends.  Marty went on to play in The Motels with his brother Jeff who had been in Nitro and played on the first TP&HB album.  I have an original vinyl of the one sided Live 'leg. I was sound man at the Whisky A GoGo in '77 when Shelter sent a copy so it disappeared.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 07:35:41 PM »
Hey, great story, thanks for sharing!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 08:17:39 AM »
Surprised no one mentioned the Drive By Truckers...they were the big surprise of the night for me...

The Heartbreakers were pretty much as expected with a few surprises...The DBT were fun and unexpected...