Author Topic: Supertone replacement bridge!  (Read 1598 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Supertone replacement bridge!
« on: January 15, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »
Haha, replace those butt ugly Hipshot monstrosities with proper three point bridges   :mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supertone-Chrome-Bass-Bridge-Saddles-Gibson-USA-SG-Bass-Replacement-Bridge-/251785586064?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a9f972590

And the price is right too!
Tssss...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Supertone replacement bridge!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »
Is this a genuine Gibson bridge being sold as a Supertone?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 05:09:55 AM »
Amazing: Do I understand the concept of the bridge correctly that string height is not adjusted via the saddles but via the bolts of the bridge platform? In-geeee-neeee-ous. Why has no one thought of it before I cry?! None of this fiddling with those fairy miniscule allen thingies, instead you get to do real work with a manly sized screwdriver!!!

Finally a bridge for all us lumbersexuals.

And: You know you are a girl if you don't come to grips with it. The bridge to set the men apart from the boys. Supertone for superguys.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 06:03:35 AM »
Haha, replace those butt ugly Hipshot monstrosities with proper three point bridges   :mrgreen:

Daaaaaaamn right!   :P :-*
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 07:07:27 AM »
Ha, I did spy that.

Three point bridge is NOT my friend right now - I was doing some work on my Midtown and I had the audacity to stretch the strings, as I have done on many occasions in the past on many basses.  Damn body insert lifted out of the body, chipping the finish around the hole.  Damn it all to hell and back again!  I managed to lift the insert out with my fingers and push it back in place, must have changed the orientation of it because it stayed down, but I still have finish damage.  Which I hope to hide at some point in the future with either a Supertone or a Babicz.

Not happy.  It's not the first time I've had posts lift out under string tension (usually due to incorrect front/back angle of the bridge as a whole), but this is the first time one has spectacularly decided to make a bid for freedom when I'm stretching my strings.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 08:33:46 AM »
Does it come in black?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »
Does it come in black?

Of course it does! I keep an unused one in the drawer, next to my fave lacy undies  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 08:51:19 AM »
Is this a genuine Gibson bridge being sold as a Supertone?

Looks like it yes. :mrgreen:
Although -for all we know- it might even be a Chinese copy of a regular three point.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:54:10 AM »
Damn body insert lifted out of the body, chipping the finish around the hole.  Damn it all to hell and back again!  I managed to lift the insert out with my fingers and push it back in place, must have changed the orientation of it because it stayed down, but I still have finish damage.  Which I hope to hide at some point in the future with either a Supertone or a Babicz.

Not happy.  It's not the first time I've had posts lift out under string tension (usually due to incorrect front/back angle of the bridge as a whole), but this is the first time one has spectacularly decided to make a bid for freedom when I'm stretching my strings.

This is not the fault of the bridge so much as bad installation by Gibson (surprise).... though, I do say the knurls on the bushings have shrunk over the years.  The vintage ones have bigger teeth and hold better.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 09:51:59 AM »
Ha, I did spy that.

Three point bridge is NOT my friend right now - I was doing some work on my Midtown and I had the audacity to stretch the strings, as I have done on many occasions in the past on many basses.  Damn body insert lifted out of the body, chipping the finish around the hole.  Damn it all to hell and back again!  I managed to lift the insert out with my fingers and push it back in place, must have changed the orientation of it because it stayed down, but I still have finish damage.  Which I hope to hide at some point in the future with either a Supertone or a Babicz.

There is an Avenger among us!!!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...