Author Topic: Surprise Gibson bass!  (Read 7640 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Surprise Gibson bass!
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
Walked into the HOG today looking for my Mesa amp pedal and look what jumped out at me.  A Midtown Signature Bass.  Yep, a take off on the LP Signature in a Midtown body.  I couldn't help myself.  It's beautiful and sounds better (just by chance) than my cherry Midtown.  Of course, it's nowhere to be found on the Gibson web site, as far as I could tell.  It's the same dimensions as the Midtown, but with the smaller lower horn.  34" scale.  Gold top and bottom.  You have to admit, it's kinda cute.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

leftybass

• View Profile
Re: Surprise Gibson bass!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »
I'd heard about the Midtown Signature Bass for a few weeks now but didn't know what it was, and since I love my Standard so much I didn't dig into it any further.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
I think it would have been cool with another LP Sig-style pickup, but hey, Gibson must not have had any in the parts drawers!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »
Pretty cool.

When  Gibson keeps pooping out new bass guitars at a pace like this, I'll never get the Gibson  Bass Book done...  :o

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »

Wow! Great looking bass Bill, enjoy  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
Dang, that's nice! 

I think I'm holding pat, though...after splurging on that Gretsch I'm done for a while.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
Nice bass Bill!!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »
That looks like it'd be a good candidate for the olde Basvarken/LPSig Prototype mod.  ... would using the gold-plated version of the pup be too much?   :P
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
I think it would have been cool with another LP Sig-style pickup, but hey, Gibson must not have had any in the parts drawers!

Pretty cool.

When  Gibson keeps pooping out new bass guitars at a pace like this, I'll never get the Gibson  Bass Book done...  :o

Gibson is just trying to use up their excess supply of three-point bridges and mudbucker-sized TB Plus. Eventually they'll run out. Maybe, just maybe, then they might change. More likely, they'll stop putting out new bass models and Rob can finish his book.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 02:27:51 AM »
Pretty cool.

My wife understands why I love and play old amps and instruments, but when she sees my pile of books by our bed she wonders
wether or not it is written any new books about my favourite subjects?

Ok, I have piles of electronic books from the 50 - 60's, and some guitar/bass books (the most recent is the 1992 ultimate guitar book)
but I always tell her : when someone publishes a big fat book with ALL gibson basses INCLUDING naked pictures (parts/electronics)
AND a lot of info on all of them, then I'll buy it.

So it's being written??

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 02:49:20 AM »
Yes. The design (and lay-out) has been ready for like a year or so. But then life got in the way and I had to put it aside for a while. Now the definite texts are being (re)written as we speak.

But in the meanwhile so many new Gibson basses have been released, that I have to make new photographs of these new siblings...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 03:25:35 AM »
Thumb's up, looking forward to it! It will be the most important book ever, and that says a lot!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:49:32 AM »
Pretty cool.

Then you can write a new edition every year or two!  Just like the school textbook people do.  Change one chapter and charge 20% more for the new book.  It's genius!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 05:56:49 AM »
Well, I have to say, it will be fun to play.  I never take my LP Sig out to play as its pickup is difficult to work with and the electronics on mine need a complete cleaning and I never seem to have the time to do it.  The switch is intermittent and the knobs really scratchy.  This new bass with do the trick when I have an LP Sig urge.  Which is right now....

I have to say that I've been struggling with 34" scale basses because of shoulder and neck issues, but at my last gig I played my j bass for 2.5 hours (I did this to please our guitar player who is a Fender bass fan and was driving me crazy about it) and did pretty well.  So, I'm not going to give into the urge to play only my ThunderJet and will work this and the 335 into my playing time.  They are great basses and I give Gibson credit for stepping up their efforts.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »
  Nice bass Bill! Gives me GAS for a Epi JC !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird