Author Topic: 2007 Thunderbird - Heavy Modifications Underway  (Read 8247 times)

n!k

• View Profile
2007 Thunderbird - Heavy Modifications Underway
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »
Here's the page I'll make to document it as it goes along. Because it is often true that nothing truly belongs to a man until he has f***ed with it, my beloved bird is going to have some modifications to make it a better instrument for me and my playing. Some of the upgrades are hardly necessary, but what the heck. I'll have plenty of pictures when its out of the shop. It is, as we speak, undergoing the blade and has to sit for a few weeks so the nitro can dry.

Here's the list of everything going to be done over the next couple weeks, and I'll check 'em off with pictures as I go! Yes, as uninteresting as it is I don't have anyone else to share my enthusiasm with so you guys will have to humor me. :bored:

Major Mods:
  • The "Butcherbird" Cutaway - Saw it on this very forum and it was a revelation. It will greatly improve access to those upper frets. Whats cool is that the shop is a certified Gibson repair facility and can create this cutaway and still keep the sunburst finish "like it was custom made from Gibson." They're going to fit the pickguard to the new shape.
  • Warwick Bridge (black) - Always loved this bridge when it came to neck through basses. It sits within the body to really get down to that low-neck angle thats often on neck through instruments. And stylistically, I think its a very modern take on the original 60's two-piece Thunderbird bridge. My setup on the T-bird right now is fine but adjusting intonation is a bear, and I've had my bridge fall onto the floor during a string change sending all my saddles a'flying! What a pain.

Minor Mods:
  • done Gotoh Res-O-Lite Tuners (black) - Gotoh's tuner to compete with Hipshot. A classy heart-shaped tuning key and the same weight savings - a set of 4 is the same as 3 of the stock Grover tuners. Here's a picture
  • done Switchcraft Jack (black) - Replaced the stock jack with a Switchcraft jack. Mouser sells them (Mouser# 502-151) and even in black if you talk to a sales rep. This actually did seem to clear up the tone in a very modest way, but maybe that's just me.
  • done Warwick Security Strap-Locks (black) - Picked some up. These look and function almost the same as the Schallers, but I wanted the black to match. The snap to unlock it seems kind of ginger, but I don't think it'll be problematic.
  • RS Guitarworks Super Pots - In my quest to leave no Thunderstone unturned, I'm going to replace the Pots too. One of my Gibson volume pot shafts is already a little wobbly after a year, so a big feature of the RS designed CTS pots were brass shafts. They advertise having "very smooth" volume transition, but we'll see. I'm going to use the wiring diagram for a '76 T-bird that uses 2 500k volume pots along with a 250k tone pot (I'm not sure if this is actually different from the modern Tbird wiring, anyone know?).
  • Vintage Sprague .047 Cap - Using the '76 schematic, it called for a .047 capacitor. I got one on eBay cheap that tested very strong when I got it. The t-bird control cavity has all the room in the world for an old oil/paper cap, so what the hey. Anyone know what the original brand and voltage was on your stock '76 cap? The Spragues are 400w.
  • New Nut - Suggestions needed - I was leaning to a Tusq nut based on how well I've seen them work on Fender basses, but does anyone have experience with a nut material other than that?
  • Indicator Knob Washers - All guitars should have these!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:40:02 PM by n!k »
Half-speed Hawkwind

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 Thunderbird - Heavy Modifications Underway
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 05:32:47 PM »
Wow, that is extensive!  Keep us posted and add some pics when you can.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:34:27 PM »
I replaced my original nut with a graphite nut on my blacked out Bird. The original had the E string slot cut way too deep so I needed to replace it. Since I was blacking out everything else (well, almost everything) I decided to go with the graphite nut. I had them on other basses and never had a problem with them.

Sounds like a Hell of a project you have going on there. Looking forward to the pic's.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »
Yep, nice project! Interesting!!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 04:32:39 AM »
All lies till you post us pictures!
 ;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:33:28 AM »
Major Mods:

* The "Butcherbird" Cutaway - Saw it on this very forum and it was a revelation.  My work here is done !  ;D All bow to the power of the saw.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:10:17 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »
Uwe will hate this! Great;)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »
You mean, Uwe will pretend to hate it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »
You think Uwe's now in his Volvo station on his way to a luthier with a trunk full of Thunderbirds, to get the Butcherbird cut our?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 04:24:14 PM »
Uwe will, more than likely, be on his way to the Hague as we type...

"I vill schtop zis butchery vonce and for all..."

... Claiming that the "Dasson Modification" is a "Luthier Crime" and demanding "Clown-Burst" and "Tequila" refins be banished for all eternity...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:34:05 PM »
And him being a succesful lawyers makes chance too:(

Well, I know people in the Hague. Maybe I can stop him.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »
Uwe will, more than likely, be on his way to the Hague as we type...

"I vill schtop zis butchery vonce and for all..."

... Claiming that the "Dasson Modification" is a "Luthier Crime" and demanding "Clown-Burst" and "Tequila" refins be banished for all eternity...

Give Uwe a chance, he had a moment of sanity with his Texas Bullet Bass!
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 12:11:14 AM »
 :popcorn:
Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 04:46:11 AM »
Uwe loves this stuff, he just likes to get a rise out of people.

God love him for it, Dave is the vinegar & Uwe is the oil. One can't exist without the other or the universe would be thrown into chaos.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 05:28:27 AM »
Who is the salt John?  8)
Digresion our specialty!