Author Topic: Another Guild reissue  (Read 9274 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Another Guild reissue
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 10:47:34 AM »

I've never seen one in real life, but according to Rob this new reissue has a much deeper body than the original. it's very light. Of course it's made in the Gretsch Electromatic factory, so it could be a Gretsch 6120-ish body, without f-holes and with Guild hardware mounted...

Yep, that's deeper than an original or the $4000 USA made reissue.  Looks nice so far!  I'm not a big fan of the pup placement, but maybe it works, we'll see when I get my hands on one.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »
This might be the result of the bass Mgod had loaned Fender to copy.  I thought he had some input but that thread was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 09:27:10 AM »
This might be the result of the bass Mgod had loaned Fender to copy.  I thought he had some input but that thread was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Oh yeah.  Was that the one he stripped down to the wood and did in a natural finish?  It was one of thicker ones as I recall.  Somewhat rare I think.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 10:45:21 AM »
I may be wrong, so someone correct me, but the solid body versions were much thinner and heavier.  The semi-hollow body version (like my black one in the picture) was thicker and lighter.  It was those models that were fewer in number.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »
Okay, so Guild made two versions. I'm not an expert so good to know! Can anybody tell more? Maybe production years, other differences?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »
I've shared all I know about them!!!  Not much, eh.   :P

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 04:22:37 PM »
mgod would know the answer. He is a member here, though he hasn't logged in in a couple of years. You could always PM him.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »
To me that M-85 that Chris pictured looks exactly the same width as the '67-68 (1st) version I had (I had the 2 pickup version in ebony)I recall it being semihollow as it was't too heavy. I did not like the thick body, so I sold it some years ago during the m-85 " craze". I also had the m-85 II from 1975 totally solid which  I DS'd.
The one you might be talking about mgod's was the same body width ( m-85 first version)that he got from Phil Lesh (or something along with Alembic workings/ modifications).

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »
To me that M-85 that Chris pictured looks exactly the same width as the '67-68 (1st) version I had (I had the 2 pickup version in ebony)I recall it being semihollow as it was't too heavy. I did not like the thick body, so I sold it some years ago during the m-85 " craze". I also had the m-85 II from 1975 totally solid which  I DS'd.
The one you might be talking about mgod's was the same body width ( m-85 first version)that he got from Phil Lesh (or something along with Alembic workings/ modifications).

I like the fat body, more acoustic sounding, I hope.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 10:48:27 PM »
I do not recall the the 1st series of the M-85 being very acoustic sounding. It did not have any f holes. (MGOD'S did as I recall but that is a different story). It did have the block running through the middle so I suppose you would call it chambered. It will get down to how you like the feel of this bass with it's rather small but thick body and how you like to hold it etc. and the sound. If I were them I might have gone with the solid M-85 as it is different than the Starfire so you have the different sound & feel options.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 02:50:26 AM »
I thionk they never had f-holes? The new one at the NAMM is very light. Like I said earlier, it's like they took just a Gretsch body and mounted Guild hardware and a Guild neck on it.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2014, 04:17:54 AM »
My M-85 had a very Ronnie Lane sound going on.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2014, 06:35:48 AM »
I thionk they never had f-holes? The new one at the NAMM is very light. Like I said earlier, it's like they took just a Gretsch body and mounted Guild hardware and a Guild neck on it.

Well, it may be Gretsch style construction, but Gretsch doesn't make any basses that deep in the Les Paul shape.  Gretsches tend to be bigger,like the Broadkaster.  The Thunder Jet might be the closest to the M-85, but it is a hollowed out mahogany back with a cap (like a Gibson Midtown) so it has a more solid feel and tone quality to it.  If the M-85 RI is more hollow, I think that would be good and a nice departure from the other LP-shaped basses currently on the market.  Might have some Hofner-esque tonality with a hollow body and no f-holes.

You're right, I've never seen an M-85 with f-holes.  BTW, as I get older, light basses are very attractive to me!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2014, 08:49:44 AM »
There is info on the Phil Lesh custom Guild hollowbody M-85 with f-holes halfway down the page: http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-167.html

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2014, 09:40:53 AM »
Looks nice!