Author Topic: blackmore or less  (Read 1772 times)

nofi

• View Profile
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: blackmore or less
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:16:32 AM »
(In comments..>) "He's a bit barmy these days." 

....the gentle wit of the British. I do admire it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »
I just saw him in concert a week or two ago. And yup, the wig has been refreshed. It was an undisciplined, spontaneous concert (with band huddles and long pauses: "what are we gonna play now ...") which had his missus gasping for air (you know how yanks don't really buy into the improvisational nature of things, Candice likes things neatly rehearsed but went with her hubby's whimsical mood though she rolled her eyes more than once, she didn't sweep the stage with a witches broom as she has done in the past when Rirchies solos passed the five minute mark ...) and he played lots of electric lead guitar, hammering away over his trademark descending chords with a roaring hammond backing ... it was Rainbow midseventies all over again. Left some of the audience slightly bewildered, there is a demographic shift in the Blackmore's Night audience in Germany according to which there are more and more people at those concerts not for his Rainbow/Deep Purple pedigree. And they did a version of Joanie Baez' Diamonds & Rust after which you could hear a pin drop, it was so musical and apt. It's always a good thing when Blackmore has had one drink too many - he escapes predictability then.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:11:35 AM »
Never knew they covered that one... she certainly can carry that song beautifully... (a hint of Ann Wilson at her melodic best in there...?)

... and for fair musical balance, another favourite version of the same song... (well... mine, anyway...) ;D ... admittedly, they've been covering this one for a couple of decades now... a then and now choice of vid... Very different from BK but Halford has still got a voice that can carry it...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 04:30:19 AM »
When JP released D&R as a single in 1977 the punk-heralding New Musical Express had a feast: First they stated (truthfully!) that the galloping sixteens notes (in JP's original version, the have re-balladized the song in their set in the last decades) were a straight ripp-off of Nazareth's earlier take on Joni Mitchell's "This Flight Tonight", then they lashed out "Baez has done horrible things to Bob Dylan songs, this settles the score and takes ample revenge" only to end with "Produced by Roger Glover. Speaking of which: Please come back Deep Purple, all can never be forgiven, but it is certainly forgotten".

I liked the song, but also - like a lot of NME comments at the time - that zesty review!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:29:42 AM »
Sorry, but those don't hold a candle to the original.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 07:41:51 AM »
he played lots of electric lead guitar, hammering away over his trademark descending chords with a roaring hammond backing ... it was Rainbow midseventies all over again.

Hmm...  8)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »
Sorry, but those don't hold a candle to the original.

I even have a Joan Baez best of song book with this one...  :o ;)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »
could you post some pix of your loft, kenny. it seems like a friendly place lost in time and dust.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 01:58:50 AM »
It's like the shed at present and is a place of chaos and terror at the mo and Jackie would be aghast if I even in my wildest and most scariest moments allowed the barest hint of an inkling of the thought of a picture getting out at present... :o ;)

I have vague memories of where I have put things up there and am presently in the process of "mapping" it for archaeologist to locate the treasures it might contain in its farthest deepest darkest corners... an awful lot of tipping stuff about took place when I re-did some of the plumbing ...

(hmm ... cheers Tom, you just reminded me of something I do need to do today ... back to toilet warriors...)

Let me give you a hint... when we nearly moved to Scotland in '04 we had the removers in to give us a price and when they took a look up there, there was a long pause ... and comments about needing a second vehicle ... ;D

Estimate of floor footprint is about 1000 square feet (bungalow internally approx. 18x50' plus the space above a garage attached to house) ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:19:40 AM »
I saw Ms Baez quite recently, she's lovely elderly lady now. I never had issues with either her voice, her songwriting or her political/social agenda. Yes, she is a do-gooder-leftist, naive too, but she is at least sincere about it.