Author Topic: Bob Bondurant passes  (Read 544 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Bob Bondurant passes
« on: November 16, 2021, 10:38:51 AM »
We have lost another of the greats, Bob Bondurant.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/11/15/bob-bondurant-le-mans-winner-and-driving-school-pioneer-dies?refer=news&utm_source=edaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-11-16

I had the good fortune to go through a two-day performance driving school at Bondurant when the school was in Sonoma at Sears Point Raceway.  What I learned there influences my driving every time I touch a steering wheel.  I'm a much smoother and in-control driver because of what I learned.

There are many driving schools, but there was only one Bob Bondurant. The day I started the school there were about a dozen people there for various sessions. He took us out on the track in a one-ton van which had a few suspension mods, and proceeded to do a full lap at race speeds with us all belted down.

I remember that at just about every corner,, this was my thought sequence:

"Oh god, we're all gonna die."
"No, this is Bob Bondurant driving...."
"No, we're gonna die."

(Repeat above thought sequence for every corner.)

And then of course we traversed each corner smoothly and with total balance and poise. When we got back to the pits, everyone in that van knew that we had a LOT to learn.

Thanks, Bob. You made my life a little better.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Bob Bondurant passes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 12:53:33 PM »
RIP, Bob Bondurant. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 08:32:14 AM »
RIP. Seemed like a good guy.

And yes, on track training goes a long way in knowing how to really control a car.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 10:15:59 AM »
RIP. Seemed like a good guy.

And yes, on track training goes a long way in knowing how to really control a car.

I got lucky - went through the Bondurant 2-day school, and a year later got to go to the Washington State Patrol Driving School.  One week of mixed classroom and on-track time doing some things with big late 70's patrol cars that I wouldn't have thought possible. But the basics, the physics, the use of weight transfer and vehicle position when cornering were all the same.

I sure wish that more drivers could go through those experiences; it would save lives and improve the way traffic flows.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 12:23:48 PM »
After the first big snow I’d go to the nearest empty big parking lot and practice skidding .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 12:55:36 PM »
After the first big snow I’d go to the nearest empty big parking lot and practice skidding .

In the Pacific NW where I grew up, that was common practice for all drivers at the start of snow season. We always told newcomers to the area (often from CA) to go out and do some sliding around in a big parking lot -but watch out for the light posts.  ;D

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 05:39:17 PM »
"Bob Bondurant passes"

Hope it wasn't on a double yellow line.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 02:30:20 AM »
Ouch!!!  8)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...