Author Topic: Bye Bye Ric ...  (Read 1162 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Bye Bye Ric ...
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:30:44 PM »
Obviously, this time it wasn't just ...

I'm a sucker for The Cars and his solo work. What a loss.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rob

• View Profile
Re: Bye Bye Ric ...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:19:58 PM »
Yep!
RIP Ric

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:32:55 PM »
It feels like the the mortar shells are getting closer...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:07:37 PM »
It feels like the the mortar shells are getting closer...

Yes, very true it looks like.  And now I've just found out from my sister that our younger cousin has just died of a heart attack.  Goodbye Ric, goodbye Phil.  You'll be missed very much. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 08:50:19 AM »
Bye Bye Love was sung by Ben Orr, not Ric.

The Associated Press story on Ric's passing starts out, "Ric Ocasek, the Cars frontman whose deadpan vocal delivery and lanky, sun-glassed look defined a rock era with chart-topping hits like “Just What I Needed,”...." but that was also sung by Ben Orr.  The AP article also implies that the Cars were punk rockers and said, "While in the Cars, he had produced albums for punk pioneers he admired: Bad Brains and Weezer." Huh? Weezer (formed after the Cars broke up) are punk rock pioneers? Makes you wonder if the writers had ever heard of Ric before he passed.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 09:28:56 AM »
Pieces like that, written by people with only a superficial knowledge, seem to be more common and actually do more harm than good, IMO.  . 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 10:07:25 AM »

Rip Ric, thanks for the great music.  :-\
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 01:36:03 PM »
Bye Ric.. thanks for Shake it up
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »
Bye Bye Love was sung by Ben Orr, not Ric.

The Associated Press story on Ric's passing starts out, "Ric Ocasek, the Cars frontman whose deadpan vocal delivery and lanky, sun-glassed look defined a rock era with chart-topping hits like “Just What I Needed,”...." but that was also sung by Ben Orr.  The AP article also implies that the Cars were punk rockers and said, "While in the Cars, he had produced albums for punk pioneers he admired: Bad Brains and Weezer." Huh? Weezer (formed after the Cars broke up) are punk rock pioneers? Makes you wonder if the writers had ever heard of Ric before he passed.

I really dug The Cars but in pre-vid days it took me ages to realize that Orr sang some songs and Ocasek some others. I remember Band Aid and The Cars performing "Just What I needed" and I was perplexed that Orr sang it rather than Ocasek, I initially thought Ocasek had tired of singing it and left it to Orr. I found their voices very similar, Ocasek's being like a nerdy parody of Orr's. But even when I heard Orr sing, my mind always pictured Ocasek and Orr's vocal lines sounded like he was following Ocasek's guide vocals, but with the more commercial voice.

The Cars were Punk in only the same way that any New Wave band (and they were New Wave, albeit for mass appeal) is Punk, strong chugging rhythm guitar, no bluesish riffs, observant rather than escapist lyrics, robotic drums. There was a Punkish-nerdish-intellectual attitude to them that, say, a band like Foghat totally lacked. Bit Talking Heads for people who like Beach Boys melodies.

Elliot Easton was the real instrumental gem among The Cars, I think the man is an astounding and underrated lead guitarist. He elevated a lot of their songs, the guitar solos in Touch & Go are majestic. I also always liked Orr's bass playing, but admittedly his style was not so dissimilar to mine, so maybe I just liked what I knew and could relate to!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:35:29 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »

Easton's solo on "Shake it up"...…..Whoa! Brilliant.
They're def a fave band of mine.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

westen44

• View Profile

--Blaise Pascal