Author Topic: Got my Epi EB3 yesterday  (Read 1249 times)

rockinrayduke

Got my Epi EB3 yesterday
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »
Wellllllll, it made it from Canada in a flimsy box and no padding G&L gig bag. Looks fine, no problems. Yet.

As soon as I tune it to pitch one of the posts in the bridge starts to raise out of the body. No biggie, I jam a toothpick in the side of the hole and drive it back in.

After a bit of tweaking of the neck and bridge it's starting to play pretty good, has a big beefy sound. First fret is high, buzzing like hell, I knock it back in. Still buzzing, it's the damn nut, A and G strings. Going to the music store on lunch break today to see if I can get a quick super glue fix done. If not then new bridge time.

Didn't notice this before but I hate the way they did the neck joint. Otherwise it looks great, plays pretty good, not too heavy. Is OK for what it is. Though I like this bass all it did was make me want a real EB3. Anybody trade me one for a Bird? ;D

What is the function of the 3 way switch on a Gibson EB3 btw?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Got my Epi EB3 yesterday
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:07:45 PM »

"Anybody trade me one for a Bird?"

....... not!   ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

rockinrayduke

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »
Well, turns out I had the neck too straight plus he had to level the first 2 or 3 frets a little. Wasn't the nut. Plays betta now. I'm lucky to have a guy just down the street from work who''l work as I wait!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:25:32 PM »
Don't give up on it yet. It may grow on you.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:45:54 PM »
What is the function of the 3 way switch on a Gibson EB3 btw?

It's actually a four-position rotary switch.

Positions 2-4 emit reasonably polite, bass-like tones.

Position one is more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQexWEwV6M&feature=related

:)
Jules' site describes the switching detail much better than I do:

http://www.gibsonbass.com/EB3_contDesc.php

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 12:43:25 AM »
An EB3 plays completely different than a T-bird. I always have troubles with thumb position (I only play finger style) on a bass without a pick up in the middle of the body like a T-Bird or F****r. But like the others say: You'll manage to like it soon!