Author Topic: My Explorer, currently exploring the interior of its case.  (Read 1356 times)

fealach

• View Profile
My Explorer, currently exploring the interior of its case.
« on: July 17, 2010, 11:06:08 AM »
Just joined recently, it's pretty cool here.  Thought I'd post pics of the poor, abused Explorer I rescued a while back.  In other words, stupidly bid on and unluckily won.  I wish I could say I was drunk at the time.  I guess I have a soft spot for the cast off victims of man's cruelty, like the 3 legged stray cat I took in ..and this bass.  I know they both are doing the best they can, the cat gets around OK considering and he seems very happy to have a home.  Similarly, the bass sounds great when played between the 3rd and 7th frets, but isn't usable otherwise.

Yes. it's been converted to a 12 string.  Not by me.  I think it might have worked out if the guy hadn't decided to string it up with guitar strings and tune them to the pitch they would be on a 25" scale guitar, and leave it like that.  Got tension? The fretboard looks to have started coming off near the neck pickup, and been screwed back down into place.  When I got it, I couldn't even tune the thing in less than half an hour;  there was no sense string-tuner arrangement, I had to physically trace the course of each string to find the proper tuner to adjust.  I think his criteria there was just to get the guitar strings to reach the tuners.

I cannot get the bow out of the neck, the truss rod works but I have turned it as far as it wants to go, and being but an amateur don't want to push my luck.  With no strings, I can adjust it so it it seems fine, but the neck has the strength of a wet noodle and doesn't even like being a 4 string.

I don't really consider this a "project" at the moment as I have no time or money to invest in it.  I know a luthier who wants to see it, who can fix it if anybody can.  I also know that if that doesn't work out, my brother has converted set neck basses into neck-through 8 strings before with Carvin necks, and that might be the most affordable route as I have the hardware already, but I'd lose the 32" scale which I like. 

So, just thought I'd post possibly my dumbest bass purchase, maybe someday it will be functional (ugly I'm OK with) but figured the pic would be good for a laugh (or tear) or two.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: My Explorer, currently exploring the interior of its case.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »

Ahhhh..........................So you got this  ;D

I say put it back to it's 4 string configuration, or may just 8.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:06:33 PM »
Yeah, I agree. 4 or 8. This wasn't done the correct way to be a 12. Interesting conversation piece.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
Crikey... I see what you mean... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 07:27:02 PM »
Oh, the humanity!!! :o

Seriously, it can be made whole again - there are people here who could help you ;)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 04:11:09 AM »
MMMM I like red basses, they RAWK! :D Nice mod platform! All it needs is some love.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Now this is the kind of bass that makes Kenny feel better about the past abuses he has recently rectified  ;)  8)
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 05:06:27 AM »
I remember seeing that. Turning it into a 12 string was aking for it.

Why don't you take off all strings in a first step and give the neck a rest for a week or two? Then restring it with bass strings to see how the neck reacts and finally add one set of octave strings to see whether the neck can take it? At the end of the day you might even be better served with perhaps just octaving the D and G. To my ears, octaved E and A strings sound in a band setting largely unfocused and the double string effect is really only hear- and usable on D and G.

The Gibson Explorer's neck is three piece maple (not a rubber neck at all) and the bass is only medium scale, hence lower overall tension. It should be able to withstand certainly the pull of six strings, perhaps even eight. Once you have found the right amount of strings, you can start discarding surplus hardware. It is resurrectable and it is not that eighties Explorers were such lovingly created and manufacture basses in the first place - Gibson was hopping on the eighties metal train with them without too much thought or love, compared to a TBird or RD they feel and sound outright cheap.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 03:41:07 PM »
Now this is the kind of bass that makes Kenny feel better about the past abuses he has recently rectified  ;)  8)

Bret... you sure know how to hurt a guys feelings... not... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 12:04:08 AM »
Bret... you sure know how to hurt a guys feelings... not... ;D
  ;D
Digresion our specialty!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 07:48:42 AM »
WOW! I had to stare at that for a minute or two. Interesting experiment.  :o Good luck!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
Something for a Japanese bondage magazine me thinks.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...