Author Topic: Family pic  (Read 1260 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Family pic
« on: September 28, 2022, 09:59:17 AM »

With the recent addition I figured it was a good excuse for a group shot. So here goes …
 The GenzBenz Streamliner is 900 watts and has a three tube preamp so it can get warm sounding , it was serviced by Andy Field and is like a brand new amp . The Bergantino Forte is my main gig amp these days , it’s a simple transparent head with some serious slam , 700 watts at 4 ohms. The SWR a is fairly recent find , 400 watts , but there’s a lot of stuff packed in that little package , another hybrid with a tube preamp. The Darkglass Exponent can be programmed via a tablet , and is an amazing little thing. 500 watts at 4 ohms. The GK MB200 was a longtime favourite as a practice amp , completely love it. When it went down I got it fixed.
 And the Hotone Thunderbass is one dandy little headphone amp.
I usually have two practice rigs on the go and keep my gigging gear totally separate , so it’s just a matter of grab and go. I don’t have to wonder about forgetting anything.
Not pictured is my little GK MB150 combo. Initially bought for my upright it quickly became a favourite little amp , still used mostly as a moderate volume rehearsal amp. Quick to grab and head out the door.
Now I know there’s a lot of old school tube heads , and I totally get and respect that , but for me Class D works very well , and I love the small , lightweight package. They give me a nice warm deep old school thump.
 I like ‘em !

morrow

• View Profile
Re: Family pic
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 10:02:39 AM »
Double post

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 07:04:54 AM »
Nice stack! And the total weight is probably less than my '74 SVT.  ;D

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 11:41:04 AM »
Less than a V4B.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 06:41:42 AM »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 03:37:57 AM »
Great stack!

Class D is a miracle. After decades of schlepping monstrous tube amps that clip at 3-4, now we have 500W of clean sound all the way to 11, that fits in the gig bag pocket.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 03:35:50 PM »
It's a miracle, yes.  I know the deal with these is that when the fancy circuitry dies, you've basically got a doorstop, which is a shame... but meanwhile I've been using the same Genz-Benz Shuttle for 13 years, and it's still the best amp I've ever owned by far, and I haven't even thought of buying a new one since I got it.
(Prior to that I owned, and sold, various combos and heads by Roland, Peavey, Randall, GK, Eden, Acoustic Image, and Thunderfunk.)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 05:03:07 PM »
It's a miracle, yes.  I know the deal with these is that when the fancy circuitry dies, you've basically got a doorstop, which is a shame... but meanwhile I've been using the same Genz-Benz Shuttle for 13 years, and it's still the best amp I've ever owned by far, and I haven't even thought of buying a new one since I got it.
(Prior to that I owned, and sold, various combos and heads by Roland, Peavey, Randall, GK, Eden, Acoustic Image, and Thunderfunk.)

I'm in the same situation.  I have a Shuttle 6.2 and a 12T and 210T set of cabs.  It's excess power for most of what I do, and I often play a Fender Rumble 100 V3 instead.  But as long as Andy is on TB I know I can get the Shuttle repaired if anything happens to it.  Frankly, I doubt anything will happen to it.  I feel very comfortable about that.

I sold a Sunn Coliseum-300 when I got the G-B Shuttle.  Great amp, but quite heavy.  I didn't need that.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 08:41:09 PM »
Andy Field still services Genz Benz amps and does factory upgrades. If you like the old Shuttles have him service them , after a trip to the spa they return like a brand new amp. He checks every circuit and the cost is more than reasonable. He designed them. I believe he’s on this forum . As agedhorse . He’s certainly a presence on TB. He believes in the legacy of his earlier designs , as he should.
Having him check out my Liner was probably the best investment I made in gear at the time. And there was a 24 hour turnaround , the shipping took more time. I was sending mine from Nova Scotia …
If you love those old GenzBenz heads I totally recommend it …
The only catch is if an unauthorized repair person has screwed things up , he will charge to undo the meddling. Thankfully mine had never been molested.
Those old Genz Benz heads are wonderful things.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 07:55:50 AM »
I'm still pretty old school, but I do use my class D Ampeg pretty often.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 09:48:13 AM »
I’m in pretty good shape , all things considered , but I appreciate the light weight and size of modern design , and they sound great for my needs. I can load in to the local blues dive in just one trip. If I need an extra cab I can do it in two.
It’s not needed for the majority of gigs I do.
I tend to just do the downtown bars so I drive the stuff downtown , and load it in and out. No rockstar , just a blue collar musician. No complaints , I enjoy the gigs I do , if I don’t think it’s going to be fun I don’t do them. Simple …

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 03:45:30 PM »
I’m in pretty good shape , all things considered , but I appreciate the light weight and size of modern design , and they sound great for my needs. I can load in to the local blues dive in just one trip. If I need an extra cab I can do it in two.
It’s not needed for the majority of gigs I do.
I tend to just do the downtown bars so I drive the stuff downtown , and load it in and out. No rockstar , just a blue collar musician. No complaints , I enjoy the gigs I do , if I don’t think it’s going to be fun I don’t do them. Simple …

I think you are doing it the right way.  I salute you.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 04:09:06 PM »
I manage to do enough gigs so Herself never gives me grief if I bring another bass or amp home.
Heh …