Author Topic: Phil Jones C2  (Read 1852 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Phil Jones C2
« on: October 28, 2020, 12:03:51 PM »
A friend in the States recently posted a pic and I noticed he was using some weird little Phil Jones cabs . So I went down that rabbit hole and noticed a little cab with two 5 in speakers . 200 watts , 12.5 x8x11 , 40Hz to 15Khz and decided it's just what I need .
I'm just looking at this for home rehearsal , my gigging gear is kept separate . I was quite happy using a little Ampeg 210AV , but now I'm hooked on this little thing . I'll power it with a mini GK MB 200 .
It's ordered , but apparently there's been a run on them . It'll eventually arrive .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Phil Jones C2
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »
That's a new one on me.  It will be interesting to hear your report on twin 5" speakers for bass.

My Rumble 100 serves as my practice amp.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 01:45:36 PM »
These cabs just came out last June and they seem to be selling , I'm on a waiting list . I've exchanged notes with a number of people that have picked them up , they say it handles a low B with authority . They also make a combo with these speakers but some say the combo is under powered . I think it's only 100 watts . They apparently fart out if you crank the low kids ... but it seems to be an amp rather than a speaker issue .
My plans are to simply dial in a nice rich old school thump at a conservative volume and run a tiny 200 watt Class D head .
Should look cute as hell too ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 04:36:15 PM »
These days it is not unreasonable to get low enough lows for bass guitar from a 5" speaker, especially a pair or more of them.   Instrument speakers (the drive units themselves I mean) never bothered to miniaturize like their hifi brethren did.  You can use hifi speakers, but they are usually too compliant (detail vs robustness - expecting compressed program material vs raw instrument signal with all it's dynamic range) and do not have the upper midrange resonant peak that (mostly guitar playing) musicians (have grown to) love.  There is some crossover precident already, but mostly with PA vs HiFi gear (and PA still goes big, except in the case of line arrays).

A bud an I are developing some cabs.  First one will be a 1x12.  I wanted to do a 2x10 or smaller as well (was looking at like 4x4) but decided to lead with something a bit more usual.

Also don't be fooled into thinking it is a 'ported' (bass reflex) cab just because there is a port.  It very well maybe, but there are other possibilities.

Also if the response is 40Hz and up it will not do a low B fundamental (but will be fine with the 2nd harmonic and up, so unless youre playing an EB0 it should be fine or at least acceptable).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 06:33:51 AM »
Apparently they've come up with some kind of massive voice coil to use with these little speakers . (I only have one five string , and haven't picked it up in years) Dyed in the wool four string player , but I've been told these little bins will handle a low B by five string players that have bought them .
I'll be looking for a rich old school thump at a low volume .  I know that's a lot to ask of a tiny speaker ... I've gravitated to short scales , but I have the usual bunch of classics around the house .

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 12:16:20 AM »
Handling power is hardly an issue with speakers anymore, but I must say 2x5 looks more like a bedroom amp setup!
Please share your opinion on the volume on this thing when you get it. I tend to gravitate towards more sensitive speakers, but then again I use tube amps in the 100W region :)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 10:22:48 PM »
This is a new one on me, but I have played a Phil Jones Suitcase which is an earlier combo with a similar configuration and was very underwhelmed. Be interesting to hear that new cab with a real power amp run through it because it seemed like the Suitcase's shortcomings were mostly the amp.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 06:35:42 AM »
They're out of stock where I ordered , hoping they will have fresh stock soon .
I've been using a little Ampeg 210AV with that little GK . It works well , but I was intrigued by the tiny cab . Herself thought the red one looked funky , so I went with that .
Hopefully the wait won't be too long ...

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 07:35:19 AM »

It's here . It will fart out if you crank it , so it's only suitable for low level home practice . I'm ok with that , I have other amps and bins for when I need volume . Still getting familiar with it , but it's surprisingly deep sounding for such a tiny thing . If you need volume I think the C4 would be more appropriate , for my use I think this little thing is perfect !

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 08:37:43 AM »
Cool little cab. Glad it works for your needs.

At home, I pretty much only ever play through my little Yamaha MSP5 studio monitors with 5'' woofers. They take a pretty good beating. I've actually felt bursts of air hitting my face from the front ports with certain kick drums!