Author Topic: Who didn't see this coming? Kiss RRHOF conflict  (Read 8809 times)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
Re: Who didn't see this coming? Kiss RRHOF conflict
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
Mott the Hoople ... weren't the type of frenzied collective jammers with individual improvisational solo highlights that made other seventies live album staples such as Deep Purple's Made in Japan, the Allman Brothers' Fillmore East, Rare Earth's In Concert or Humble Pie's Rockin' the Fillmore iconic.

And somehow this is a bad thing?  I wanna hear songs, not some asswads noodling for 20 minutes.  Practice at home, not in front of thousands of people.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »
Sacrilege...!

:mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »
They would have to invite the studio players (Dick Wagner) who played on Destroyer in place of Ace.  Probably on other records too.

I saw them on the Farewell tour.  It started out great, Ace did 2000 Man.   By the encore I was out of the Erwin Center headed for my car to beat the traffic.  They were just going through the motions by then.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »

And somehow this is a bad thing?  I wanna hear songs, not some asswads noodling for 20 minutes.  Practice at home, not in front of thousands of people.

Hear, hear! That's why I never listen to "individual improvisational solo highlights" bands.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 11:48:16 PM »
Paul Stanley caught my attention for the positive when he said the RRHOF had inducted Robert Trujillo with Metallica, and he hadn't played on ANY of the band's classic albums and had only been in the band a short time; the "Kissposters" have been slogging it out for decades and people seem to forget that Kiss put out good music AFTER the classic lineup was long dead. I would have loved to see a both/sharing/passing of the torch type performance deal, but of course, that would require class, and this is the RRHOF we're talking about.  I'm not seeing this as landing on Paul and Gene. Paul was pretty blunt about it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 09:56:53 AM »
  Agreed!

Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »
...I would have loved to see a both/sharing/passing of the torch type performance deal, but of course, that would require class, and this is the RRHOF we're talking about.  I'm not seeing this as landing on Paul and Gene. Paul was pretty blunt about it.

I'm glad to hear that's the genesis of all this back and forth. I'd have liked to see them all.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
Just to circle back on this, the original point Ace was trying to make is that it would be silly to have more than one person onstage made up as each character. It would start to look like ComiCon or something. Without makeup, I think everyone could peacefully co-exist, and jam on something from "The Elder" :mrgreen:. And if they are going to count Thayer and Singer, they have to include Eric Carr, Vinnie Vincent, Mark Norton and Bruce Kulick as well - at least symbolically.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 08:10:42 PM »
Paul Stanley caught my attention for the positive when he said the RRHOF had inducted Robert Trujillo with Metallica, and he hadn't played on ANY of the band's classic albums and had only been in the band a short time; the "Kissposters" have been slogging it out for decades and people seem to forget that Kiss put out good music AFTER the classic lineup was long dead. I would have loved to see a both/sharing/passing of the torch type performance deal, but of course, that would require class, and this is the RRHOF we're talking about.  I'm not seeing this as landing on Paul and Gene. Paul was pretty blunt about it.
   Metallic is still trying to make up for how bad they treated Jason Newstead, They have been kissing Trujillos butt since he joined.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 01:09:47 PM »

I like to get lost in hearing a solo sometimes, that improvisational aspect is something that sets rock apart (and of couse jazz even more so) from, say, classical  music. And if you ever speak to a classical musician, it is the one aspect they marvel about the most with rock musicians just like we marvel at their sight reading skills. Not every band has to do it and just delivering the songs is fine, but I'm glad that Jimi Hendrix is not just known for 20 second solos he would repeat note perfect at every gig.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl

lowend1

• View Profile
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 02:05:20 PM »
This might be of some interest to some aficionados out there.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kiss-finally-get-the-cover-of-rolling-stone-20140325
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »
As a part of pop culture it was about time they made it on that cover.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2014, 05:10:04 AM »
Paul Stanley's recent inteview on the topic is pretty good (video in the link).  I love how he ends it with "I'm Paul Stanley and the RnR Hall of Fame can blow me"   ;D

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6049065/paul-stanley-kiss-rock-roll-hall-fame-video-interview