Author Topic: Multitrack Love  (Read 4205 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Multitrack Love
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
http://blog.zanorg.com/?perm=545
Smoke on the Water

Love Me Two Times

Roxanne

Hotel California

There aren't tons of songs but there are some pretty cool tracks. I love hearing how different and imperfect some tracks sound on their own, yet once you layer the other stuff over it everything blends and sounds perfect. Our ears play amazing tricks on us (well, mine do on me). Hearing (somewhat) individual tracks brings out some cool bits and colors you may not have noticed before.

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: Multitrack Love
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »
Thanks, this is great. Wouldn't it be great if we could isolate bass tracks from any album. I think it requires a master to do that right?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
Thanks, this is great. Wouldn't it be great if we could isolate bass tracks from any album. I think it requires a master to do that right?

To really do it you need the multi-track recording, though even then older stuff would have stuff bounced down on reduction tracks. I find this kind of stuff fascinating.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
That is very cool.  The Rock Band series of games, which I've never actually played, have made it possible to hear tons of tracks from tons of songs... the games apparently come with multitrack Ogg files.  People figured out how to extract the tracks from the game DVDs and often they show up on youtube (search for "isolated bass" and a lot of what turns up is from Rock Band).    This guy probably got his material from the same source. But putting it on an easy-to-use interface like this is a clever and really useful idea.

Personally I think the availability of the Rock Band tracks, and now this web thingy, is a fantastic development. You can learn a lot about how arrangements are put together and how the individual details relate to each other. And how parts you think you've known your whole life are actually quite different.

Now if only somebody would get hold of tracks for "Funkentelechy"...
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 06:16:35 AM »
Roger's Ric sound (which he disliked for being "too noisy and distorted, not American enough in my ears") is a dream come true.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:18:08 PM »
Which Roger was that, on which song?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »
Waters. Careful with that axe.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »
Hmm, I'm not finding it.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 10:16:01 PM »
For more multitrack fun...
http://multitrackmaster.com/

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 06:51:32 AM »
Which Roger was that, on which song?

The song is dun-dun-duh and the bassist ...

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...