Author Topic: Wolfgang  (Read 412 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Wolfgang
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 05:30:43 AM »
In the balance of things, Wolfgang's last name is probably as much an artistic and commercial burden as a benefit to him. Yes, it may (have) open(ed) some doors, but the shadow of comparison looms large. He must be cognizant of this or he wouldn't camouflage his name in his commercial moniker Mammoth WVH.

Of course, you can also be Emilio Estevez and go out of your way not to use the name of your famous kin, i.e. Martin and Charlie Sheen - but Emilio went back to the real family name, "Sheen" was a Hollywood agent's invention to escape relegation to typecast Hispanic roles for an actors' family with Mexican roots.

I have Wolfgang's debut, bought it out of sheer curiosity and was pleasantly surprised. It's good (not brilliant, not a game-changing milestone like Van Halen I, just good) and the work of a - for lack of a better word - well-rounded musician (no pun or dig intended re his physis), i.e. someone who grew up in a very musical household with a dad who meant a lot to him.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2EOJiI4vRBk

That whole nepo baby thing ... You know, there are sometimes people with famous parents in the same field and yet they are still talented, I would count someone like Miley Cyrus or Dakota Johnson among them. And then there are others you can only feel happy for that they have that last name (and the affluent background that goes with it) because they seem to have so little else to offer. Being lucky isn't a crime. Just don't sell it as an own achievement if it really isn't.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 09:23:14 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...