Author Topic: Guitar humbucker sized bass pickups, what to use?  (Read 20055 times)

Deathshead

• View Profile
Re: Guitar humbucker sized bass pickups, what to use?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »
Got word back from riogrande, and got an answer about the pitbulls,.

"On a few internet forums I have heard that the pitbull pickup is actually 2- 51' p-bass coils wound as a humbucker, is this true or is the pitbull a blade style pickup?  .....YES  "

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 01:29:54 PM »
Well, now you know that it's definitely one of the above.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 01:59:59 PM »
hah, seriously, ya think, while they probably get alot of email with questions, you think I would of gotten a little more info then just simple yes or no answers, especially when these pups are over $200 for the set, thats a big chunk of change..

wtf?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 03:20:46 PM »
Look at this post from another thread for an uncovered Pitbull.

It's really not two '51 coils. They would be slightly too large to fit under a HB cover and as Tony noted in that message, the polepieces are smaller. May be wound to the same general specs but definitely not identical.

Also note the polepiece spacing, don't know if that will be an issue for you.

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »
thinking about trying out a set of schaller 232 bassbuckers, "supposedly" they are a licensed copy of the original dimarzio model G.

They are built just like the rio grand pitbull,

They can be made to accept smooth chrome covers,.

and if they are anything like the dimarzio model g they should sound nice and fat with an attitude, especially both on full blast with
rotosound flats and a pick.

plus they are cheep!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »
Look at this post from another thread for an uncovered Pitbull.

It's really not two '51 coils. They would be slightly too large to fit under a HB cover and as Tony noted in that message, the polepieces are smaller. May be wound to the same general specs but definitely not identical.

Also note the polepiece spacing, don't know if that will be an issue for you.

Rio Grande pickups are made here in Houston and they are associated with Rockin' Robin Guitars and Robin Guitars.  I discussed the Pitbull with the owner and he told me that the Pitbull was two of their 51 P pickups under the chrome cover.  Might be that they trim the bobbins to facilitate the cover.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 06:23:29 PM »
i tried all sorts of stuff before coming up with a gtr size humbucker near the bridge to complement the mudbucker in the front of my eb4l.what i was most happy with was 2 carvin black blade(no polepiece lineup issues) type single coils,one rwrp, that i wire as a humbucker.they didnt cost lots and they add a nice brightness.one thing i did do was put a 2200pf capacitor to earth through a 5oo k pot(you could probably use a smaller one)at the point where the 2 single coils are wired together in series,i.e. where you would put a coil tap.what this does is give humbucking mids at one end of the pot travel and single coil tops at the other end while keeping the bass end humbucking-no mains hum.seems a little complex i know ,but its great having that edge at the same time as the mudbucker fatness.im sure you could even put a chrome cover over it no worries,its the same size as a gtr humbucker.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:20:34 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 06:41:27 PM »
Rio Grande pickups are made here in Houston and they are associated with Rockin' Robin Guitars and Robin Guitars.  I discussed the Pitbull with the owner and he told me that the Pitbull was two of their 51 P pickups under the chrome cover.  Might be that they trim the bobbins to facilitate the cover.

I know that's his standard response but I'm not buying it. Similar, yes. Two 51 P bobbins, could be, but would require some noticeable trimming.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 07:06:07 AM »
Does anyone know where to buy the Schaller 232 Bassbuckers? I haven't found them for sale anywhere online.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 08:31:31 AM »
There's a guy who's been selling a lot of Kramer parts on eBay who puts them up regularly.  I don;t think he knows what they were called, as he just lists them as Schaller Bass Humbuckers.  He's been asking $70 BIN.  I'll have to go through my history and find the guy's eBay handle.

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 08:46:35 AM »

Heres from more specs on this pickup, Perhaps  Herr Uwe could translate?

Thanks.,

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
Schaller 232 Bassbuckers haven't been made for years. Schaller has a number of things on their site that have been discontinued. I think they just keep the specs or diagrams up for reference.

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »
Are you sure Dave? they are still listed in their current catalog and i see them listed on a very few online stores in germany..

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 01:37:43 PM »
just got word from a dimarzio dealer that the X2N-B is still available, for $75 bucks.
take 7-10 days special order.. 

I wonder how 2 of these would sound in the LP standard.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »
Are you sure Dave? they are still listed in their current catalog and i see them listed on a very few online stores in germany..

I'm not sure but you could check with Allparts since they're official importer for Schaller. My guess is that you'll find those online stores either don't actually have it in stock or have some old stock. As always, I could be wrong.

I remember we went through this several years ago with the replacement bridge for the EB-0. It was on Schaller's website and some stores had it listed but it was discontinued well before. I don't think any of the stores actually had any left.

just got word from a dimarzio dealer that the X2N-B is still available, for $75 bucks.
take 7-10 days special order..

I wonder how 2 of these would sound in the LP standard.

Twice as bad as one of them.  :mrgreen: