Author Topic: RD Artist Pup that may get peeled... Cover ideas...?  (Read 2649 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
RD Artist Pup that may get peeled... Cover ideas...?
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:27:14 PM »
I am contemplating peeling the plastic off my damaged RD pup for my Peter Cook project... anyone have any idea about covers and rings...? I can post the internal dimensions (approx) but has anyone tried this...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RD Artist Pup that may get peeled... Cover ideas...?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »
If it's going on a bird may I suggest this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gibson-NOS-Parts-Thunderbird-Bass-Pickup-Cover_W0QQitemZ250523625464QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3a545f27f8

If a Model G will fit in there I'll bet an RD pickup would. It'll match nicely with the mudbucker.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »
I'm not so sure, but as I have a spare RD pup and those Bicentennial covers I'll give it a try tomorrow and report. That said, I don't see anything resurrection-worthy about an RD Artist pup. They were - in spirit with the times - anodyne-sounding "neutral" affairs that lived and died by the elaborate RD Artist electronics. RD lovers will squeal, but I think the cheaper Standard had more of an identity and a wood tone. I think an RD Artist with TB Plus Chrome Humbuckers (which you can get on Ebay for 120 bucks a pair) would definitely roar though. They brought out the lion in my Epi Silverburst TB, think what they would do with a set neck maple log like the RD!!!

Yes, I did write chrome ... 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:27:32 PM »

"Yes, I did write chrome ... "

I'll bring you over to the shiney side of the force....... ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:33:17 AM »
Shiney boot side that is.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:49:51 AM »
RD lovers will squeal, but I think the cheaper Standard had more of an identity and a wood tone. I think an RD Artist with TB Plus Chrome Humbuckers (which you can get on Ebay for 120 bucks a pair) would definitely roar though. They brought out the lion in my Epi Silverburst TB, think what they would do with a set neck maple log like the RD!!!

Yes, I did write chrome ...

I'm a squeeling! You might be right about the RD standard having a woodier tone, but to replace the RD pups ?

I wonder what Pickups would work with the Artist circuit?

I just strung mine with heavy gauge stings and drop tuned it to low C.

Here is a song I did with the new tuning - All RD
Dibs Big Day Remix
 http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=8318099

I tried to get a Johnny Winter Slide effect in the intro

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:37:43 AM »
I have to agree about the RD Standard...always had more punch than the Artist...felt this way about the Victory also.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:02:33 AM »
Unstripped, the RD Artist pup is ever so slightly wider than a Model G, but stripped you should be able to squeeze it underneath the Bicentennial, as useless and vain an exercise as that may be except for the most superficially inclined among us ...  :P

Here I go  :rolleyes: giving advice on the chrome molestation of innocent basses - I am but a shadow of my former self ...

Re compatbility of RD electronics and pups, can't you - in principle at least - use any pup with active electronics? I'm not aware that the TB Plus soapies and chromies that saw action with the Bartolini TCT circuit equipped LP Specials/LPB-1 and LP Standards/LPB-3 were any different to their siblings used in the earlier (LPB-1) and later (Standard) passive versions of these basses.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 12:52:08 PM »
Of course you can.

For that matter, you can use an active preamp with an internally active pickup, although you probably wouldn't like the results.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »
Here is a song I did with the new tuning - All RD
Dibs Big Day Remix
  thats my kind of country rock.
Louder bass!.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 01:25:08 PM »
as for as suggestions for a rear pickup to work well with a mudbucker,ive tried a few now and im currently using 2 carvin blade single coils (one rwrp)wired as a humbucker and this works well..i reckon you need a bit of attack and presence, something the mudbuckers not famous for... anyway as its a standard gtr humbucker size i could put a chrome cover on it but i have resisted the temptation so far.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:31:54 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »
the barest few lines into the posting and we're halfway to "Venus In Furs..."  ;D

Thanks for the info George and Uwe, and also the alts Tony, and not forgetting Mark's ever-present glamour...

First things first... I've been running the pup passively for a long time, and the sound it produces is just... perfect... for me... I'll be sticking with "both" fitted by the bridge (rear?) position, one in the RD, one in the PC... the full bore mudbucker, combined with the passively run RD Artist pup really works well...

The reason for the "peel" is esthetic rather than functional, to go with the myrtle refin and to provide a neat ring for the pup... I have a further problem but I'll raise that in the refin thread once I acquire the cover... you see, I don't think chrome will work with the colour of the fin and my remaining gold hardware...

John... a Kahler on an RD... exotically out there man, way out there...  8) ... and I just went fretless, threw out the electonics, cut a chunk off the wing, burnt the serial number into the back... She's next on the refin schedule...

Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 02:52:45 PM »
do you think it would fit in a chrome  or gold gtr size cover?if so i would be tempted to heat some wax in to the inside(to stop microphonics)and stuff it in there.
Louder bass!.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 03:08:53 PM »
on a further tangent,i recently wired the 2 pickups in series so i have one knob for blend(progressively bypasses the mudbucker)and one for master volume.i love it.very very full sounding.
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »
That's a no-go on the standard gtr sized HB covers as I had an opportunity to measure up whilst getting the veneer, but the "blend" idea may be worth an experiment... Joe (Chromium) posted something ages back, about splitting the coil, which I'm going for, so gonna have lots of options.

Definitely gonna pot into place...

Do gold covers exist, or would I have to get plated...?

I'm tempted to get a 2 layer rotary switch, but depth is an issue... I would have to re-engineer to reduce the depth... I'd like to see one up close to see if that is possible... anyone played with one that far...?