Author Topic: Columbus guitar show 2014  (Read 1519 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Columbus guitar show 2014
« on: January 12, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »
I decided to go to the guitar show here in Columbus today.  It was lit up, for a change, and there was a big room of not much to interest me.   There was a Guild B-302 for $650 that wasn't too bad.  Two items caught my eye.

Wal bass - the owner wasn't around, but the other person in the booth told me that this bass was sent back to Wal for a new finish, and to remove the bridge pickup, and install a couple of switches, which you probably can't see on the pickguard, right below the pickup.  Price was $2500, which I thought might be a really good deal.

A Crown 12-string guitar.  I've never heard of these, but it was interesting looking.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Columbus guitar show 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »
Not a fan of the Wal sound but that probably was a good price.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
Does seem like a great price. Love Sonic & Daphne Blue. Don't think I've ever seen a Wal with a pastel or any bright color other than white before. Is it a lined fretless or fretted? Hard to tell from the pic.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »
Does seem like a great price. Love Sonic & Daphne Blue. Don't think I've ever seen a Wal with a pastel or any bright color other than white before. Is it a lined fretless or fretted? Hard to tell from the pic.

Geez...it was only yesterday...I want to say it was a lined fretless fingerboard.   :-\

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
I know Gustafson's was lined from construction... never seen one plain...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:06:14 PM »
They made Pro I and Pro II models.  Not sure why they'd fill in the back pickup route.  Probably just a refinished Pro I bass.  Here is an old photo of my long gone Pro II.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
They made Pro I and Pro II models.  Not sure why they'd fill in the back pickup route.  Probably just a refinished Pro I bass. 

Up close, there was a faint outline of where they filled in the bridge pickup route.  I would have expected a little better from Wal.  There were also 2 small black switches installed on the pickguard.  I'm guessing it was on the coil selection.