Author Topic: Lemmy Signature Seymour Duncan Pickups  (Read 6303 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Lemmy Signature Seymour Duncan Pickups
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »
Slipknot is like that for me. One or two tracks. The music isn't dumb or anything and there is detail to be heard, but the one sided emotion it transports - after five minutes I'm done and want to hear something like Air Supply.

LOL.  Coffee on screen.

... and @ Rob, I can listen to the Ramones all dang day.  Just nothing after Dee Dee left, because it really gets too fast and samey/punk cliche at that point. End of the Century (the one "true' fans love to hate) is pretty diverse and listenable.  Some band's just need a gun pulled on them by a crazy afro'd genius.

Kinda the same with AC/DC - Bon Scott era was more diverse, but it was all still good up until Razor's Edge or so and then started to get really self-parody-like, both musically as well as lyrically (the new single when I heard it made me LOL - another one about how imperative it is to "rock") .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:07:38 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 09:00:48 AM »
Please note that in no way do I mean to be dismissive of any particular genre.

Same here. I mean, I listen to prog rock, so what the hell do I know? LOL!

another one about how imperative it is to "rock") .

Ha ha! Important stuff!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »
To me the Ramones are a classic pop band with buzzsaw guitars - I really like Joey's vocals, the melancholy in them, the melodies and his tone of voice (very 70ish in the way he multitracked his voice over and over without using harmonies to fatten it up - same recipe as Ian Gillan and Ozyy Osbourne, but then Joey was a closet DP fan). I don't ever tire of The Ramones, they always bring a smile to my face though live they played the stuff too darn fast for me.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 01:16:38 PM »
Ha ha! Important stuff!

It's like they don't know they're already preachin to the choir.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 10:04:33 PM »
There's no shortage of bands or performers in any genre who always sound the same. Sometimes that's a strength, sometimes a weakness.

I'm listening to Fats Domino right now. I wouldn't want him to ever do something that sounds different.

As for Mr. Lemmy, he just turned 69 on Christmas Eve, and he's still going despite serious health issues. Let him have his signature pickups, he's earned the right even though I wouldn't buy a set.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 05:22:22 AM »
"There's no shortage of bands or performers in any genre who always sound the same. Sometimes that's a strength, sometimes a weakness."

True. I don't mind Status Quo's one-sidedness for instance.

But the trait I admire most with bands is the abiliity do do a vast array of genres and styles, yet still be immediately recognizable. Queen come to mind for that. Pop, vaudville, hard rock, folk, electronic dance, disco, opera, hip-hop, gospel - they did it all (not always pleasing their fans with it), yet 10 seconds into a song, you knew it was them. And no one else could replicate the stuff convincingly, Queen tracks are difficult to cover.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 06:38:46 AM »
Yeah, the Clash is like that too.... but much easier to cover.

The Smiths' work, used to all blur together for me until I hit 16 and somehow got it.  Man, little me was so prejudiced against Oldies, or anything that resembled 'old people music' - that ironic schtick was one of the things that led to their breakup (allegedly).