Author Topic: Superwound bass strings  (Read 6099 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Superwound bass strings
« on: September 23, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »
Went to a small local guitar store that I don't usually frequent - a little too much pressure (was asked "can I help you with anything" by three of the four people working there) plus I don't have any money to buy anything. But they have a pretty good string selection - lots of GHS and D'Addario, plus these:

Crazy light gauge, crazy expensive - but if I had a bass that was appropriate for these I would almost consider them! Mark King is pictured on the back. Didn't Geddy Lee use these on his Wal? Anyone have experience with these strings?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Superwound bass strings
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 08:48:38 PM »
I vaguely remember buying a set of these way back in the day. I don't recall anything particularly special about their sound.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »
I used them (double ball end type) for a while on my headless but they snapped quite easily - the idea was that only the core of the string ran over the bridge making them somewhat brighter - I quickly returned to my standard Rotos...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
So I did a little bit of googling on these - should have done it first but I was so excited to post. Looks like Superwound was connected with Rotosound. Rotosound still has a set called "Funkmaster" with the same gauge, but it looks like they are just regular strings, without the exposed core and without the customizable ball end length: http://www.rotosound.com/funkmaster.php

Even if I had a bass to try these out on, it just seems like a nightmare - having to work the ball-end, having to reset the neck for the change in tension, having to do something about the nut & bridge saddles - forget it!  ;D

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 06:29:21 PM »
The double ball set worked well for the early Steinberger L2 and Status basses.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
Just found out that they still do this design - the PSD (piano string design) set - but only in a standard gauge, not the crazy light funkmaster gauge.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 04:46:14 AM »
++++++ re "they snap easily", but they give you a feeling of ease of playing like no other set of strings I've played.  The ballend stuff is a chore but works quite well.

They had their ten minutes of popularity in the late seventies, early eighties, when le thumb became de rigeur.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 08:08:45 AM »
I've been using taper wound strings for a few years now - Dean Markley SR2000. I have yet to break one, and I dig in pretty heavily. I wasn't specifically looking for that type of string, but they were on sale for like 12 bucks so I thought I'd try them. Ended up loving them and finally defected from GHS Super Steels.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 08:16:35 AM »
Labella used to make a set like this with the exposed core end.  hard rockin ....  great sounding string.  have em on my lull equiped bachbird.  Sounded much better than the roto's it had before but in full disclosure  I stopped liking/using  rotos about 25 years ago..   Not sure if they still make them this way as they changed the name  a few years ago.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
I've been using taper wound strings for a few years now - Dean Markley SR2000. I have yet to break one, and I dig in pretty heavily. I wasn't specifically looking for that type of string, but they were on sale for like 12 bucks so I thought I'd try them. Ended up loving them and finally defected from GHS Super Steels.

+1: I normally HATE Dean Markley; Blue Steels die on me in seconds while almost ever other brand lasts years, but SR2000's are made for low-action funk and age just fine.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »
Yeah, Blue Steels - sound great new, die shortly thereafter. That was the thing that really got me about the SR2000 - they last freakishly long. Don't tell them that! They'll raise the price.  :P

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 02:15:15 PM »
I used to use some strings with the core end exposed also, was a long time ago, they were supposed to be brighter when only the core went over the bridge. I think I stopped using them be cause I couldn't find any that were long enough to go through a Rickenbacker tailpiece. Blue steels last a long time for me.