Author Topic: alembic mania  (Read 30742 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: alembic mania
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2009, 07:46:52 AM »
All I meant was that I never heard of any contractual relationship between Entwistle and Lakland. Just because Lakland made a Fenderbird-style bass doesn't mean anything one way or another.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2009, 08:35:10 AM »
But still I think it would be strange of JAE leaving his Statusses and going back to wooden basses. No matter if it's a Lakland or an Alembic. The Dragonwing sure is pretty, though!

I see your point Chris, but, just to play Devil's advocate here..... I think part of being innovative and forward thinking is the ability to keep an open mind, and perhaps consider the possibility of re-visiting some older ideas. I mean, there is simply no denying the uniqueness, personality, and flat out killer tones that he got from the Fenderbirds and Alembics. Much more so (IMHO) than any of the Warwick or Status stuff he played in later years. Just a thought....

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2009, 08:44:30 AM »
I'm also playing the devil's advocate a bit. Just curious:) Alembic could be right and it is/was somewhere at the Lakland site...

I also think JAE sounded best with P's, Thunderbird, Fenderbirds... Some say he was after thios trebly sound cos he could hear that with his hearing problems.

It wouldn't be surprising if we had seen him once with a P again...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »
Not wishing to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a Kawai FIIB, and how does it match up against the Alembic?  I wish I had gotten one a few years ago, when they were going for about $350.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »
Not wishing to cause a riot here but I can't think of anything I would consider significant that the Who recorded post Keith Moon's death - purely a personal opinion, although I was highly impressed with "Too Late The Hero"... correct me if I'm wrong, but was Mr Entwistle still on the Alembic's then...? Do remember that I am not an Anglophile with my musical tastes, so...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
I think most JAE's solo albums were at the Alembic period.

Last great Who album, IMHO, is The Who By Numbers with great Entwistle lines!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2009, 03:34:39 PM »
Would that be the "wood" then... QED

... and a nice obscure drawing of a "Peter Cook" on the cover...  ;D

Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »
That lightning bass is reissued by an American company too! Like the Explorerbird.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2009, 06:06:55 AM »
There was a guitarist in Illinois, Billy Prewitt, who had a custom double-neck guitar/bass that was very close to that lightning bolt, back in the '70s.  His band, Horace Monster, included Rob Harding (later of Off Broadway), who had a custom Epiphone double neck Embassy/Wilshire combo.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

senmen

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2009, 02:11:56 PM »
Hi guys,

let me step in again on some points:

1.  Too late the Hero was mainly recorded with Alembics. 4, 8 and piccolo basses.
     The Rock for example was completely recorded with Warwick Buzzards, 4, 8 and one small
     fretless part with a Buzz fretless.

You can hear the difference very significantly. Especially on TLTH you have that true Alembic sound.
     Also you can hear this clearly when listening to the two Quadrophenia versions as the later filmtrack
     was re-recorded, also with the Alembic Spyder.
     Also for the Quad re-recording he used the first Hamer Quad 12string bass with a Standard (Explorer)
     body shape.

2.  As for Lakland the same than before; definetely nothing to do with John.
     Also german make Hot Wire had put in a variation to his programme, the Funderbird.

3.  The pictured Thunderbolt bass is the replica made by Ed Roman for the JE Foundation.
     It is not correct as the upper black lining is missing and the headstock is too short.
     The original is in the posession of the Hard Rock Cafe nowadays.

4.   The ExplBrd by RS Guitars is not in production anymore.

Many greets
Oliver (Spyderman)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2009, 03:30:11 PM »
Spyderman... (love that name, why didn't you use that one...?) re point 3 - that's where I got the pic - my interest is the Peter Cook angle, as I'm one of the lucky (?) few with an original PC T'bird, although that could be questionable after my mods...
Do you know which HR the "Lightning" Peter Cook lives, Oliver, and for that matter I thought the Alembic you've "honoured" was in the Berlin HR, as I sent my daughter there on a mission and it was not on show... I may have got it wrong...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2009, 11:53:21 PM »
Thanks for the info Spyderman!!

senmen

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2009, 09:59:51 AM »
Kenny, Chris, Guys,

the original Thunderbolt was last displayed together with Spyder No.1 (the one which failed at Live Aid and was sold as "punishment" for the failure from John directly to the HRC) at the Orlando Vault.
I heard that the Vault was closed but I am not sure so I donĀ“t know where they are today.
After Spyder NO.2 had gained such a high auction result with the Sothebys auction in 2003 the HRC moved No.1 to the Orlando Vault, but as you said right No.1 hang for a long time in the Berlin HRC. That is where I took photos of No.1 to measure it out for my replica Spyder.

Oliver (Spyderman)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
Not wishing to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a Kawai FIIB, and how does it match up against the Alembic?  I wish I had gotten one a few years ago, when they were going for about $350.

Gary, I've only played Alembics in stores many years back but I did buy an FIIB a few years ago (for $350 :mrgreen:) and I was very impressed. It sounded pretty close to me. Obviously, an Alembic player with a trained ear would most likely disagree, but for what it is it's a great bass. I'd definitely buy another one if I had the need for that sound. BTW, it was heavy, very comfortable to play, and the best looking $350 bass I ever had!

senmen

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2009, 10:09:07 AM »
Guys,

wanted to share this photo with you.
Had the first rehearsal with the Spyder on tuesday and that bass is really awesome.....

Many greets
Oliver (Spyderman)