Author Topic: My 4th of July will outrock yours...  (Read 5012 times)

pamlicojack

• View Profile
My 4th of July will outrock yours...
« on: July 02, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
It's that time of year when thousands will decend upon Winston-Salem NC for the 9th annual HEAVY REBEL WEEKENDER.  Three days of rock and roll, rockabilly, honky-tonk, punk, garage, metal, and loads more. The beer will be flowing (except for me who doesn't drink, the rat rods and classic beaters will be on display, the mud wrestling will be dirty, and the music for the 85+ bands will be HOT!  I'm not even going to get into the wet wifebeater show or the upright bass slapdown.

I am honored to be playing it again this year (my 6th and with a third different band.) the Rayguns will be hitting the Jailhouse stage at 5:45 on Friday and the show won't wrap up until Dash Rip Rock closes it down on Sunday night.

I hope everyone has a safe Fourth of July Holiday filled with family, friends, good food, and fireworks.  Even though it won't be as cool as mine... :mrgreen:

www.heavyrebel.net for all the details, pics, schedules, and more.  Hopefully I'll have some pics up next week after I recover.  Denis will be there too and hopefully will make a full report after his hangover subsides...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:48:19 PM by pamlicojack »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: My 4th of July will outrock yours...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
It will definitely outrock mine, not much of musical interest to me going on around here. Hope you have a great time.

Dash Rip Rock... who'da thunk they'd still be around?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »

Your event is bigger no doubt but we'll be headling a similar thing here on Seattle's waterfront.
Our old friend Miss Goody Goody (The girl so nice they named her twice!) is the poster model. hopefully I'll get some pics to share.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:58:06 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:47:28 PM »
It will definitely outrock mine, not much of musical interest to me going on around here. Hope you have a great time.

Dash Rip Rock... who'da thunk they'd still be around?

This is their 25th anniversary.  I hadn't seen them in nearly 20 years (Whenever Boiled Alive came out)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 02:17:58 AM »
Seeing Crosby, Stills & Nash tonight - do old hippies count? - and Manfred Mann's Earth Band - do old proggies count? - on Sunday ...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 04:14:22 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 04:47:26 AM »
It's that time of year when thousands will decend upon Winston-Salem NC for the 9th annual HEAVY REBEL WEEKENDER.  Three days of rock and roll, rockabilly, honky-tonk, punk, garage, metal, and loads more. The beer will be flowing (except for me who doesn't drink, the rat rods and classic beaters will be on display, the mud wrestling will be dirty, and the music for the 85+ bands will be HOT!  I'm not even going to get into the wet wifebeater show or the upright bass slapdown.

I am honored to be playing it again this year (my 6th and with a third different band.) the Rayguns will be hitting the Jailhouse stage at 5:45 on Friday and the show won't wrap up until Dash Rip Rock closes it down on Sunday night.

I hope everyone has a safe Fourth of July Holiday filled with family, friends, good food, and fireworks.  Even though it won't be as cool as mine... :mrgreen:

www.heavyrebel.net for all the details, pics, schedules, and more.  Hopefully I'll have some pics up next week after I recover.  Denis will be there too and hopefully will make a full report after his hangover subsides...

It's going to be a great time, like it always is. I'll try and take pics of any cool basses I see in action. A report from me after a hangover may not be the most objective thing ever though.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 12:35:41 PM »
Playing a support slot tomorrow, and sharing lead vocals on one song...  ;D

Have a great holiday US buddies...  8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »
Geez...all I'm doing is playing what will likely be an empty biker bar.  The money is good, but I think I know what to expect.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 04:10:38 PM »

Playing a support slot tomorrow, and sharing lead vocals on one song...  ;D

Have a great holiday US buddies...  8)

Ahh yeah!................. We're celebrating the throwing off of the yoke of english tyranny!   ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Hornisse

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 04:16:35 PM »
We are playing a party in Waco that we've done the past 3 years.  Good money and food plus I get to try out my new Markbass SD800.  That damned Guitar Center and their stinking list sale!  :mrgreen:  I will also be playing a bass that my friend Bill White built for me.  He has a company called Zo's Guitars and I've known him for over 30 years so I specified a 5 string Jazz Bass for him to build. 

Plus we are going to play "Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough" and I'm looking forward to doing all of those cool fills. 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »
You may outrock, but you will not out-cool.

We're headed to Red Rocks near Denver to hear Blues Traveler in their annual July 4th concert!

They be jammin'!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Hornisse

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 10:35:20 AM »
I'll be heading out in about an hour.  You guys have a great 4th!  I hope to get home by 5 a.m. tomorrow.......... :bored:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 11:51:24 AM »
Everyone have a great, safe 4th!  We're headed out in about two hours.

Tomorrow I'll change the front brake pads on our '99 Blazer in preparation for an 800-mile trip to Lake Tahoe next weekend.

Yesterday I changed both the flexible brake lines on the front discs in my daughter's '91 Camaro.

I'm entitled to a day of NON-automotive stuff!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 08:31:42 AM »
Our gig was themed to "who can wear the silliest/most outrageous hat" and our keyboard player, Louis, saying goodbye to his friends (flys "down-under" day after our gig on 15th August) and his other band playing one last gig with him and us supporting...

Yes indeed, silly hats all round...

Louis (with Tele) and Chris...

We played nine numbers, 6 of Chris', with the live debut of one of Louis songs from a CD he released in 2005 (plays pretty much everything on it) called "Stroke", to which I included a link to below...
http://www.garageband.com/mp3player?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSkZlm0Z2s
... and 2 covers, "Hold On, I'm Coming" and "Back In The USSR" - highly appropriate for 4th July... ;)

Here's one with a temporarily hatless Nick and me with the RD...

My hat, an inflatible Stetson, is a delightful shade of blue, not possible to be seen under the red glare, internally lit with a collection of my daughters LED lights; a vision to behold... ;D

and a blury one with the Tequilabird...

Yep, that is me singing, and be thankful I have no means of uploading video... ;)

It was a nice wide stage but as both kits (one at each end) were present, with Louis centrally positioned, and 3 guitarists, total, it was a tad cosy - I had to be careful not to send Louis' Mac flying and avoid cymbal laceration to my right, not to mention taking out Louis' head...  :o

and Mark... being of Scottish descent, we have yet to slip that yoke...  :sad: but we are trying... ;)

PS - can anyone spot the small American Republican influence in any of the pics...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »
Two pix of Blues Traveler from row 38 at Red Rocks...hey, they were shot with a Blackberry - it was what I had!

These guys are really different.  A little pop, a little rock, and a LOT of free-form jazz that let them flow from number to number with almost no breaks.