Author Topic: More monkey business  (Read 2337 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: More monkey business
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 03:48:56 AM »
 :mrgreen: Not the only mammals who like drink. Horses love beer, probably from getting to know the taste from fermented grain or grass. (I never forget my surprise when my first girffriend, who owned a horse, poured a bootle of beer into her horse's trough/feeder as a reward.) And fruit bats (those huge ones that look like they're dangerous, but are in fact strictly vegetarian) are on a constant high from eating fermented fruit.

But I also remember our German Shepherds. Anything my mother would cook with even the slightest trace of wine, they would sniff at and not touch.

Uwe

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 05:10:11 AM »
do you still call 'em "German Shepherds" in Germany? not just shepherds
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:34:43 AM »
Alsatians?  :vader: ;D
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 06:47:02 AM »
do you still call 'em "German Shepherds" in Germany? not just shepherds

Yep, German Shepherds is still the official name. There is a more hairy variety and that is called Altdeutscher Schäferhund (alt = old). I guess it is to discern them from the myriads of other shepherd dogs that exist. There a Belgian Shepherds, Scottish ones (= Collie = what Lassie was) etc.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:02:51 AM »
This just completely spoils my plans to open an international chain of taverns manned by vervet monkeys.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:11:33 AM »
This just completely spoils my plans to open an international chain of taverns manned by vervet monkeys.

As well as nixing the remake of the famous movie, the sequel named "Coyote Monkey".
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:14:46 AM »
I assume you had a supervising role in that monkey chain for you in mind?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 10:58:47 AM »
Davelon...?

"Collie" could be derived from "Cally", which is in turn derived from the Gaelic word "caileag", which in turn translates as girl, or "Lassie"...

Our Shetland Collie (a fluffy minature breed) was called Caileag...

I was once at a "reject" primate sanctuary ("damaged-goods" never used to be welcome at zoo's, missing digits, etc - "look mum, that monkeys hurt", etc) We were there to drop off a big dog fox for rehab from an RTA... I had a small monkey jump over everyones shoulders when he was let loose and landed on my shoulders, wrapped his tail around my neck, and then proceed to "groom" my hair (yes, it was a long time ago...) the lady that ran the sanctuary said that he was a "gay" monkey, as he would only groom males... My wife made the comment that his hands "felt like soft leather" - we never wore our leather jackets again... they also had a marmoset that acted as a "den mother" for all the baby squirrels...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 11:44:19 AM »
My wife made the comment that his hands "felt like soft leather" - we never wore our leather jackets again... they also had a marmoset that acted as a "den mother" for all the baby squirrels...

We could never eat Beef Jerkey again after the mummy exhibit or eat KFC Chicken because the old woman worrking there, had identicvasl skin to the cooked chicken. Its like we are eating that old lady

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »
I think Dave was baiting me-

I was watching Chimp Eden and the host was talking about how Chimp DNA is almost Identical to humans, like 95-98%, which in other animals makes it under the same species. They were saying scientists were trying to get Chimps considered the same species or sub species as man. Of coarse that will never happen, chimp rights is all we need now!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0520_030520_chimpanzees.html

Now, biologists at Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, Michigan, provide new genetic evidence that lineages of chimps (currently Pan troglodytes) and humans (Homo sapiens) diverged so recently that chimps should be re-classed as Homo troglodytes. The move would make chimps full members of our genus Homo, along with Neanderthals, and all other human-like fossil species. "We humans appear as only slightly remodeled chimpanzee-like apes," says the study.

"The loss of the [wild] chimp and gorilla seems imminent," said Morris Goodman, a study co-author. "Moving chimps into the human genus might help us to realize our very great likeness, and therefore treasure more and treat humanely our closest relative," he said.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
Not baiting you at all. I am a bit surprised that you didn't post it first, you're usually the first with important monkey news.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »
Yeah, spending more time working trying to float our sinking boat.