Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

Fender to finally make the Starcaster bass and reissue the Coronado?

<< < (25/26) > >>

Dave W:
IMHO the Coronado looks better, at least. Hope it works out better for you.

Pilgrim:
I was surprised that the new Coronado is heavier than I expected, and I like the look.  Hope it works great for you.

Alanko:
I keep reading about the weight of the Coronado, and now I'm worried.  :mrgreen:

A friend's father had an original '60s Coronado guitar. It was a tonally dead, pitiful thing that made a sort of dull sustain-free clunking sound. Maybe it would be good for reggae or R'n'B ('60s style) where you just needed a quick, clean 'chop' on the backbeat or whatever? Steve Cropper stuff, and even he didn't use one. Did anybody use one back in the day?

Fender have definitely had to make a bunch of changes to the reissue design, for whatever reason. The originals weren't semi-hollow but fully hollow (right?) and had Dearmond pickups rather than the Gretsch-style things in the new one (right?).

Pilgrim:
The photos of the 60's versions look like Dearmonds.  The new ones look like Gretsch-style pickups to me.

If you want to go hollow-body, my recommendation would be to check the Gretsch G5440 (long scale) or G5442 (short scale) basses. Here's the 5442.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: Alanko on December 19, 2017, 12:53:46 PM ---I keep reading about the weight of the Coronado, and now I'm worried.  :mrgreen:

A friend's father had an original '60s Coronado guitar. It was a tonally dead, pitiful thing that made a sort of dull sustain-free clunking sound. Maybe it would be good for reggae or R'n'B ('60s style) where you just needed a quick, clean 'chop' on the backbeat or whatever? Steve Cropper stuff, and even he didn't use one. Did anybody use one back in the day?

Fender have definitely had to make a bunch of changes to the reissue design, for whatever reason. The originals weren't semi-hollow but fully hollow (right?) and had Dearmond pickups rather than the Gretsch-style things in the new one (right?).

--- End quote ---

I had an original Coronado II bass, the pickups were DeArmonds. It was fully hollow and it was too light. With the strap button placement, the severe neck dive made it rotate away from the body. It also had an uncomfortable neck profile. The tone wasn't great but it was okay. The discomfort is what made me get rid of it.

The reissue can't be that heavy. It's still a thin body, right? Some extra body weight would definitely be a good thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version