Author Topic: 79 T-Bird on Ebay "original" Pelham finish?  (Read 1080 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:04:42 AM by Nokturnal »
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: 79 T-Bird on Ebay "original" Pelham finish?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »
Not that I know of. Refin for sure. maybe even a headstock repair. If it stays low it could be a nice project.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:14:08 AM »
Yowch... someone f'd that one all up! EMG J pups.... Certainly not the worst thing in the world, but not on a Gibson 'bird! Cool color. The 'guard and knobs need to go.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 08:36:56 AM »
He obviously thinks he did the right thing by replacing the pickups and bridge. At least his starting bid reflects that.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
It's easy to have refinished a '79 since they didn't have the decal serial numbers like the '76's did. Not sure. Could be a refin...a very good old one...hiding a headsyock repair.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 04:26:14 AM »
the color looks like "midnight blue" i almost bought an SG in that same color. from the same time frame.so the finish could be original.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 11:03:06 AM »
the color looks like "midnight blue" i almost bought an SG in that same color. from the same time frame.so the finish could be original.
Anything is possible.........................I sold these back in the day at the H.O.G. there were no GCs back then if the Hog didn't have it no one did. I never saw or heard of a Pelham blue one.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »
Don't know about the 79 year, but I had one like this with this same paint and when I checked the Epiphone page this unit they were still showing this color as one of their original colors.  I agree that changing the pickups was a bad decision.