Author Topic: Custom Shop T-Bird in green  (Read 4268 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Shop T-Bird in green
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »
Nice!

He has a Make Offer button, so at least he may be realistic if he doesn't get his full price. Hard to say what something like this is worth. He probably paid a lot even 20 years ago since there's a matching Firebird.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »

Damn I only have three green Thunderbirds............. my life is somehow incomplete  :-[
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 04:51:27 AM »
Why does the Good Lord test me like this knowing that I do not collect for fins?! It's just not right ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 05:14:25 AM »
Eeek, I do not like that green at all. Probably the black hardware helps ruin it for me. If that stuff was chrome I've a hunch I'd like it a lot more. I do, however, like that pick guard!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 05:15:33 AM »
Whats is it that is so special about this bass then? I see nothing out of the ordinary except that Kermit the Frog finish.
Custom Shop? Must have been a slow week for them when they did this bass (that could easily have been made at the factory)...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 06:51:01 AM »
 :puke:  That fin. would not make me break out my wallet. Nice pics. :rolleyes:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:10:09 AM »
THAT....IS one of the coolest Modern T birds I have seen in a long time. I still think  Uwe's Korina Thunderbird probably KILLS!!!!!! I remember way back when that and the matching firebird were at Chicago Music Exchange....that or maybe it was a Purple set????? It's just a color. You can probaly send any Normal Thunderbird to Gibson and have them do that finish.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 07:26:46 AM »
You can probaly send any Normal Thunderbird to Gibson and have them do that finish.

Why the hell would you want to do that?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 07:42:52 AM »
I don't really like that color either, but it's rare! And different. Gibson doesn't do a lot of green guitars or basses, period. In my harem I have one green bass from them and that is the Epi neck thru LP prototype that sounds a bit like a Ric.

Good question what would makes this Custom Shop other than the fin. If it were a Les Paul you might assume that the neck tongue/body-contact is better as it is on the Custom Shop Lp guitars as opposed to the Gibson USA one, but with a TBird I wonder (just like I do with Firebirds) what the Custom Shop could do with the structure that is "better". And without structural improvement, all that is left to customize is a better fret job (nowadays they PLEK), a non-standard fin and perhaps a choice of better-grade wood. The hardware certainly looks identical to a rank and file TBird on this specimen.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 07:50:23 AM »
Whats is it that is so special about this bass then? I see nothing out of the ordinary except that Kermit the Frog finish.
Custom Shop? Must have been a slow week for them when they did this bass (that could easily have been made at the factory)...

Amen.  Why does a custom color and 'mother of toilet seat' pg qualify for cs decal and associated price hike?  Was Gibson secretly acquired by the Franklin Mint around this time? ;) 

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 08:02:57 AM »
In the past I saw an ebony Tbird with the Custom Shop logo on the back, but it just looked like any other modern era Bird. Was there a time before these became regular production that Gibson made some to test the waters and put the logo on them? They slapped the same logo on a lot of those Q80 basses didn't they?
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 08:06:15 AM »
Hmm, green is kind of a favorite color of mine. Hate pearl pickguards though. Pass...  :P

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 08:24:27 AM »

If it were as beautiful as this Firebird............

I collect for fins, therefore I sins!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 10:49:37 AM »
NICE BASS, BUT LOUSY PICTURES.

Reminds me of the one the Dude use to have