Author Topic: EB Banjo Tuners - Replacements / Replica Tuners  (Read 4257 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: EB Banjo Tuners - Replacements / Replica Tuners
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »
There were the Schallers later on...

I bought these Schallers for my '60 EBO in 1966 at a music store in Hialeah, Florida. They required only very slight reaming.  Broke one of the ears off the E string shaft in the 70s, found a complete replacement tuner at Gary Brawer's SF shop in the late 90s.  Not as stout as current Schallers but a vast improvement over the stock Gibsons.  Note the 'Made in W.Germany'.

Very nice description of the POS banjos BTW!

eb2

• View Profile
Re: EB Banjo Tuners - Replacements / Replica Tuners
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »
I am not surprised they were made that far back, but wouldn't have thought that.  From my haunts, they really started showing up a lot in the 70's. My 56 EB had them, and yes they were a major improvement on the banjo pegs.  They were not easy to find everywhere though.  I had a Schaller catalog that listed a whole bunch of cool stuff they made but the distribution was so odd that the store I got it from could only get the tuners and an upright bass pickup at the time.  They made a look alike Model G type thing too. 

I actually loved the look of banjo pegs, but got sick of the wobbly crappy nature.  I did like Imperials though.  I think they fit the headstock better.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.