Author Topic: Gibson's mahogany  (Read 4373 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson's mahogany
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
I didn't intend for this to be a critique of how anything else sounds. Just confirming my suspicions about Gibson's wording and what they really use.

As for Epi, I don't think any "mahogany" guitars from Asia have ever been genuine mahogany. You'd have to buy a vintage US Epi to get that.

It's all part of the "Gibson is more valuable"-mystique. If you believe in that, you probably also believe that Jack Daniels roll their whiskey around in old oak barrels. Why is nobody honest and writes: "This wood looks like crap and is obtained cheaply by us, but in our experience sounds better than a lot of pricier and more textured woods"?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
I've seen "real" barrels in Highland distilleries and I believe it could be shown that defendant has somewhat bought into the "Gibson mystique..."  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »

It's all part of the "Gibson is more valuable"-mystique. If you believe in that, you probably also believe that Jack Daniels roll their whiskey around in old oak barrels. Why is nobody honest and writes: "This wood looks like crap and is obtained cheaply by us, but in our experience sounds better than a lot of pricier and more textured woods"?

I sort of understand what you're saying...

But Jack Daniels is still aged in new charred white oak barrels and filtered though maple charcoal.  Can't make barrels out of red oak, it won't hold liquid.  Good for burning, though.

And Honduras is generally less figured than it's cheaper competitors.  A very high grade is called 'pattern' not because of its high figure but lack of it.  So it can be used for making product patterns because of its extreme stability.  It's what I remember Gibsons looking like in the 50s and 60s; Les Paul guitar backs and necks and entire EBOs and TBirds.  Also lighter weight than the stuff Gibson started using in Les Paul basses and the guitar reissues.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
I'm a genuine veggie and Roshina's a genuine vegan... :mrgreen:

What is "naugahide"...? (referenced on a WZ song once)

The hide of a Nauga, nacherally. 

http://www.naugahyde.com/history.html

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »

Single Malt Scotch please! 

I just say no to JD  :puke:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 09:59:53 PM »
I wonder what my Greco bird is made out of?

Most likely sipo or khaya.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »

As Carlo pointed out, the Jack Daniel's aging story is not a myth. But it's not just JD. All bourbons (which JD actually is) have to be aged in new charred barrels, it's part of the federal standard of identity for bourbon.

Anyway, yes, Gibson maintains a mystique even though they buy lumber by the carload or boatload. And you probably know the old story about korina originally being bought as a cheaper substitute for mahogany. But if Gibson isn't using real mahogany 98% of the time now, they need to tell us what it is.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 05:17:45 AM »
Sorry Dave, Jack Daniel's is not bourbon, it's Tennessee Whiskey. Specific requirements define bourbon and I think the charcoal filtering kicks JD out of the bourbon realm. However, Evan Williams Bourbon tastes a lot like JD, is a lot less costly, and is a great Jack and Coke substitute. Oh, Evan W. is "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey"

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »
It is charcoal filtered, true, and the folks at JD insist it isn't a bourbon. But it definitely meets the federal standard of identity for straight bourbon whiskey, and it doesn't meet the standard for any other type of whiskey. It's also classified under NAFTA as a straight bourbon whiskey produced in Tennessee.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 08:08:38 AM »
I just took another look at Ari's LP body.  Possibly it's Honduras and the color is due to the lighting and/or camera.  Mea Culpa.

Here's a similar example of the camera lying.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 08:54:40 AM »
Finished is another story.

No kidding! I had been wondering if Alembic dyed their mahogany or something, but I guess the color just really comes to life with a finish on it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 10:53:22 AM »
It is charcoal filtered, true, and the folks at JD insist it isn't a bourbon. But it definitely meets the federal standard of identity for straight bourbon whiskey, and it doesn't meet the standard for any other type of whiskey. It's also classified under NAFTA as a straight bourbon whiskey produced in Tennessee.

All true, just happens to be the subject of holy wars in Tennessee. They don't care what them thar feds say.  I've read about the begats and the definitions, and it seems like a great case of in-state politicking driven by the commercial whiskey factions.  That's certainly not an unusual situation in any state.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 11:26:56 AM »
Can't say for sure if Ari's bass is genuine mahogany, can't see the grain that clearly, but I've certainly seen it that light before, and I've never seen khaya that light.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
Either way, it's got some nice grain for the trans fin that's going on there. Still waiting for it.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.