Author Topic: PSA: 50th Anniv Bird at Willie's  (Read 3745 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: PSA: 50th Anniv Bird at Willie's
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 06:37:56 AM »
I happened to catch the last part of Joe Elliott's and Rick Savage's interview on Tavis Smiley recently.  Def Leppard was one of those bands that I listened to in the 80s, but didn't listen to much after that. 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/def-leppards-joe-elliott-rick-savage-guest-on-pbs-tavis-smiley-talk-show-video/
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »
Pete Willis was a hot shot Schenker disciple. Too bad about the booze. I remember digging "Rock Brigade" and "Wasted" when the first album came out. After that, not so much. I DID pick up their greatest hits a couple of years ago. I think I listened to it once.  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
I thought Pyromania a damn fine early 80ies AOR album with still some grit - along with Rick Springfield's Living in Oz, Balance's In for the Count, Hughes Thrall, Journey's Escape and Frontiers, Loverboy's Get Lucky and Keep it Up, and Billy Squier's Don't Say No.

With Hysteria, they just spent too much time on it. It was lifeless - as if it had been programmed note for note; it made Kraftwerk sound like the Grateful Dead.  :mrgreen: Mutt Lange had stifled them by this point. Those songs sounded so much better when they played them live on stage on the following tour.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 11:27:17 AM »

With Hysteria, they just spent too much time on it. It was lifeless - as if it had been programmed note for note; it made Kraftwerk sound like the Grateful Dead.  :mrgreen: Mutt Lange had stifled them by this point. Those songs sounded so much better when they played them live on stage on the following tour.

Yep.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 01:45:54 PM »
Speaking of Rock Brigade, dig the flying V bass. Don't see those every day.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »
That's cute. You can hear the Mott the Hoople influence. Elliott is a Mott nerd. And they sure gave Schenker era UFO a good listen too.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
          my biggest gig was doing video for the Lepps on their 2005 us tour, they are so much better live than on their overproduced recorded output. I agree on the steve clarke/Phil collen comparison, but steve's replacement Vivian Campbell is pretty amazing. the rest of the band never soundchecked, but every day Viv would give us crew an amazing half hour solo blues improvisation show, the highlight of which was often an awesome half speed ballad version of Lizzy's "Don't believe a word"  you never really got to see his talent in the show though as he was required to play steve's parts note for note, the only time he was let off the leash was for the last 8 bars of "Love bites" which I would look forward to as he would do something different every night.
   and Joe is not just  a Mott nerd, he's a full on 70's rock geek, when you get into conversation with him about bands he likes he sounds like a rabid fan not a rock star, I remember him jumping up and down with glee like a little boy when he heard they'd got Cheap Trick in to do support for a few shows.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
GREAT band, the Def Leps. Lotsa Hamers too. I think there are some early videos where the entire band is playing Hamers.

I actually have three of  Rick Savage's personal custom Hamer 5-strings with his name on the headstocks. Great basses.

I also have a really cool early shot of the original band where two of them are wearing t-shirts of the two radio stations I was a DJ at back during those days from when they stopped by to do interviews.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:53:02 PM by mc2NY »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »
Marquee Club, spotty oiks, pre first LP... they did a fair amount of support work (Hagar one time I remember) that I saw them play... they were a Northern NWOBHM band so didn't see them that much... got the first single on its second run and had most of their releases up to Hysteria... lost interest... never seen again...
This was still the era of NWOBHM where that drummer bloke from that metal (ica) band also lurked around, I think... he was certainly around the Marquee a lot...
Try and listen to the original single version of Hello America (first official release) and not the LP version (which is OTT production-wise) and this is more like they sounded in those days...

Saw Girl a few times (Marquee again, plus supports) when Phil Coleen was with them... they were a good live act...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 06:26:58 AM »
Pete Willis was a hot shot Schenker disciple. Too bad about the booze.

Well, his emulation was then obviously not just restricted to the musical traits of my countryman.